Experienced some Impulse Horns yesterday

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Last night I delivered my Naim CD5i to it's new owner, a very nice chap called Rob from the PF Forums.

Whilst there, I couldn't help but take advantage of the offer to have a listen to his system. Clearly a massive enthusiast with masses of LPs and CDs he also had a couple of record decks, a whole bunch of what appeared to be 70s amps, and in his main system a Mitchell Gyro, home build WAD valve amp and phono stage with a pair of massive Impulse horn loaded speakers. The only speakers I've come across (excluding those mad behemoth JM Focal labs things) that get close are WMs new Meadowlarks and Julians IPLs.

As for the sound, I have to say I was very impressed, although there were clear good and not quite so good points.
    - The system was clearly led by the speakers, which had MASSIVE dynamics, and "thwack" that makes WMs kit sound a little soft around the edges. In addition, timing and coherance across the full range of frequencies was spot on.
    - I rather liked the positioning of musicians in the mix. With my own NOS/Naim/Linn combo, it's like having a seat in a smoky bar next to the stage. The Impulse combo gave you a table 6-8m from the stage making it a little easier to take things all in.
    - The Mitchell sounded more like a CD player than most CD players. I wasn't quite sure about whether I liked that or not. I guess the good thing is that if you setup your system to be synergistic with LP, it should work fine with CD too, unlike some LP12 optimised systems I've heard. The bad news is that I kind of expect LP to sound different, more romantic and so forth. Makes me wonder why bother with the hassle of LP if you don't get something extra.
    - Overall I felt the sound with both CD and LP was rather dry, almost as though some of the tonal colouration had been leeched from instruments. Imagine Ella Fitzgerald hit by anorexia and you might get the gist of what I'm saying. Linked to that was a distinct lack of depth to any bass. Despite being huge, the horns had extension of smaller stand mounts.

So yes, I was certainly impressed, it was a very enjoyable system and I think that once you'd adjusted to the more dry balance, virtually nothing else would get close. For me, it was nice to have a more rounded presentation when I got home.

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 21, 2005
  2. Mr_Sukebe

T-bone Sanchez

Interesting findings there, espec. the speakers. Full-range speakers are my pet subject at the moment and Im trying to overcome that bass problem before I commence cutting of timber.

Quite suprised at the LP findings but just goes to show that we all hear different things. I know the Gyro can be abit clinical depending on the cartridge but I would have thought it would sound pretty fab with the WAD amp and phono.

Has the Naim gone because of the NOS??

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 21, 2005
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Ref the Mitchell, it did sound fab, just not quite as fab as I expected.

The Naim has gone because of the NOS.
    I think it was simply a question of synergy. The amps I have showed up how artificial and synthetic the CD5i can sound. The more tonally accurate NOS fits in very nicely with my Naim amps.
    I think that the CD5i would fit very well with dry systems like the one I listened to, which need a little "pepping up".

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Mr_Sukebe

felix part-time Horta

Nice review.

Spot-on about the H2s' sledgehammer dynamics. I'm a little surprised at the comments on the H2's bass but I understand that conclusion since the H2s are very very 'tight' rather than 'full'. I don't find myself wanting for extension though, and they (very) easily shake the room at LF. FWIW a quick measure showed extension below 28Hz (-6db) in my room (5.7 x 4.8x 2.4m), but be assured I don't listen via meters and dials! Also, the subjective effect is completely dependant on the partnering amp - driving my pair with a nait2 sounds a lot warmer, cuddly even, than the DPA amps, but I much prefer the latter overall.

In any case this sort of balance is a matter of taste; and I must try some good valves in the near future...

felix, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

The gyro decs etal...are quite susceptable to the supports and also arm and cart combs, though I'm still to hear a bad one, just some are better than others. I feel mine is in the middle ground....Fab dynamics but bass definition could be better.

zanash, Apr 23, 2005
Ask a Question