f.a.o.electrostatic panel users, re cleaning

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by A.N., Aug 24, 2006.

1. A.N.

A.N.

thought this might be of interest, and to yow'all electrostatic 'speaker users.

i have had my ML's for about 10 months now, and have always been pleased with the sound, very detailed and holographic with a great sense of depth etc....i usually vaccum the panels 'bout once a month to keep the panels clean, but, t'other day, i was doing nowt and read on a forum that some guy uses cotton buds to clean his panels

hang in here, it does get VERY interesting........

with having virtually an eve free, i thought i'd give this a go, nowt to lose etc only me time, so i set to and started the cotton bud clean...

in between the perforations on the mesh, the actual maylar panel had residue of dust that were stuck to it, (kinda like likkle iddy biddy black dots of grease, dust and the like) so i started to remove this CAREFULLY with the said buds.

TWO boxes and three hours later, all done and black dot free, and the result?????

jesus H, they sound totally different. the height of the sound touches the sky, they are even more open and airy than before and the detail? fan-bleedin-tastic!!! i put salutation road by martin stevenson on the lp12 and every nuance, cymbol tap, triangle, guitar strike, and timpani had its own place within the stage (it did before, but not with this openess and clarity!) voices breathed superbly and the mid was so open.............

if any chaps here use 'statics, and have a spare 3 hours or so (and a couple o'boxes of ear buds in da hoose,) give it a go, you will be stunned at the difference :MILD: :MILD: :D

A.N., Aug 24, 2006
  2. A.N.

zanash

Cheers I'll definately take a look .....as i've the Aerius i's

zanash, Aug 25, 2006
  3. A.N.

Garmt

Good stuff! The panels on my Vantage, Clarity and Stage are spanking new, so no need for the cotton buds for me I think... :)

Garmt, Aug 25, 2006
  4. A.N.

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Wouldn't a blower bulb (as used to clean camera equipment) save a lot of time? Obviously a compressed air can could cause damage (as in cameras), but a blower bulb shouldn't?

I-S, Aug 25, 2006
  5. A.N.

A.N.

it would for the dust, but the actual grease and grime that is built up wouldnt move, it needs to be removed by contact (some use a shower to wash the panels, but only in extreme circumstances, ie, if the panels sound went dull)

zanash, if your ML's are dirty, try the vac first, but it really has made a vast difference getting rid of the grime.:)

A.N., Aug 25, 2006
Ask a Question