Faure's Requiem

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by locky, Sep 26, 2005.

1. locky

locky

I have this on CD. It is the 'classic recordings of the century' recording by EMI I think. Only trouble is that there is a an audible hiss on the recording. Can anyone point me to another good quality recording of this (Can be either on CD or Vinyl).

Thanks...

locky, Sep 26, 2005
  2. locky

Mr.C

I think the hiss is probably a good sign that the engineers haven't screwed around with the recording. My CD copy is the Naxos one, and it ain't too bad at all.

Mr.C, Sep 26, 2005
  3. locky

lordsummit moderate mod

I think there's a lovely one with either Rutter or Wilcox conducting. I'll have a look when I get home. I can't remember the details off the top of my head

lordsummit, Sep 26, 2005
  4. locky

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

if the recording you've got is the one I'm thinking of then it was recorded in about 1960, with Andre Clutyens conducting the Paris Conservetoire, and musically there aren't many better versions than that. Despite the hiss, its actually a very good recording too.

alanbeeb, Sep 26, 2005
  5. locky

lordsummit moderate mod

lordsummit, Sep 26, 2005
  6. locky

COOLGUY

hyperion

Hyperion has a great recording I think. When silent part are amplified to play louder, there is audible noise level. Not hiss. the recording is great, I recommend it to everybody

COOLGUY, Oct 15, 2005
  7. locky

Active Hiatus

I've got the Hyperion one and love it. Matthew Best is a little known but excellent conductor. (Incidently he was the first person to help me understand Beethoven :eek: and has a good reputation performing Bruckner) The Hyperion comes in two guises, One has several other Faure works including Cantique de Jean Racine, Messe Basse, ,
    Tantum Ergo & Ave Verum; the other is the same recording but coupled with the glorious Durufle Requiem. Both are great disks but the Durufle is a must.

I've also got the Willcocks/King's College version which is also worth a listen. Unfortunately the samne can't be said for the Clutyens 1963 version with Victoreia de los Angeles & Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Great soloists but appaling recording and mediocre performances.

Of the modern takes try either of the Herreweghe recordings, I think he's done both the 1893 & the 1901. I haven't heard these but I like what he does elsewhere and they certainly got good reviews in the press. I just didn't feel the need for two more versions

Active Hiatus, Oct 15, 2005
  8. locky

Bloosman

Re. Faure Requiem

I have the EMI version on CD

CDM 7647152

Fantastic...

Dougie.:)

Bloosman, Jan 24, 2006
  9. locky

Bloosman

Re. this topic...

I've just managed to obtain a copy of:

Agnus Dei, Music of Inner Harmony
    The Choir of New College, Oxford,
    Edward Higginbottom
    Erato Records 0630-14634-2

It contains an absolute cracking version of Faure's Requiem, as well as 11 other good pieces, including the sublime Miserere (Allegri)

Worth hunting in those second hand/charity places...:)

Dougie.

Bloosman, Feb 24, 2006
  10. locky

narabdela

My favourite also! :beer: :beer:

narabdela, Feb 24, 2006
  11. locky

Bloosman

Folks,

After another rummage around a charity shop, I picked up a copy of Faure's Requiem on beautiful black vinyl...

HMV Angel Series, SAN 107 with Victoria DeLos Angeles, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and The Paris Conservatoire Orchestra, directed by Andre Cluytens...

Absolute MINT condition...!

...and it cost me 50p... :shock:

Has anyone else listened to this version...?

It is absolutely divine....!

Dougie.

Bloosman, Feb 27, 2006
  12. locky

narabdela

er......., I think if you read above.

:) :)

narabdela, Feb 27, 2006
  13. locky

Bloosman

Doh....:eek:

Well I like it...!

D.

Bloosman, Feb 28, 2006
  14. locky

dreftar

Faure Requiem - public Library

Got a copy of this from the public library. Just interested after reading the postings. Played it this afternoon - I am impressed, beautiful music, lifts you onto another plane.
    The version I borrowed is an EMI Classic, Sir David Willcocks - choir of Kings College, Cambridge.

Its amazing what you can borrow from the local library!:)

dreftar, Mar 12, 2006
  15. locky

PeteH Natural Blue

[​IMG]
    Eliot Gardiner hands down for me :) . Willcocks is excellent too, though obviously much less modern stylistically (and less modern also in terms of recording quality!). The other version I've got is the Andrew Davis on Sony, which isn't bad either, though not a patch on the above.

dreftar - if you don't already know it, do chase up Durufle's Requiem next, it's similarly lovely (though make sure you get a recording of the full orchestral version, rather than the organ-only version, because the orchestration is marvellous). Hickox is a very good all-round recommendation here.
    [​IMG]

PeteH, Mar 17, 2006
  16. locky

dreftar

Thankyou I will do. Ill check out Amazon I need to get my own copy - cant keep borrowing it from the library

dreftar, Nov 23, 2006
  17. locky

Gromit Buffet-blower

For me, the finest rendition of this is John Rutter's recording of the original, 1893 score with the City of London Sinfonia and the Cambridge Singers. It is exquisitely beautiful - uses a small organ and no violins (except the solo obligato in the Sanctus).

*I was lucky enough to be able to sit in at the recording session as I was good friends with one of the girls in the Singers.

*Which means I'm biased. ;)

Gromit, Nov 23, 2006
  18. locky

eisenach

eisenach, Nov 25, 2006
  19. locky

dreftar

Well I finally got a copy of Faure and Durufle's requiems - Decca - eloquence with ambient sound imaging - what ever that is!! And Im totally delighted. She who must be obeyed was even heard to say "Yeah, Its pretty good." Not bad since shes only just moves a bit away from Neil Diamond!! - The music transends the medium and lifts you onto a higher plane - I love it!!

dreftar, Dec 5, 2006
Ask a Question