Field & Studio Setup Help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Reality, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Reality

Reality

Hello all,

I've read some posts and saw a few pointers to ponder. I'd like to share my recording goals and the current equipment that I have on hand, and get some insights from fellow AF members.

Here are my goals:

I'd like to do field voice recordings - sometimes with ambient sounds (near ocean, in forest, at parks, etc) that will eventually be distributed via a podcast and/or produced as audio downloads and audio CDs.

Also, I would like to record VOIP interviews in a home/office studio setup via Skype. These will primarily be distributed as podcasts.

Current Equipment

For field use:

Zoom H4n Recorder
    Audio-technica ATR 3350 Lav Mic

Home studio use:

[Great Desktop / Great Laptop Computers]
    Audio-technica AT3035 Cardiod Condenser Mic
    Behringer XENYX 1622 FX Mixer/Preamp with USB/Audio interface

Questions and needs:

In the field, I'd like to stow the Zoom H4n in a pouch/pack and use a handsfree mic - to avoid noise from hands on unit and to have hands completely free while walking and such. Is the ATR3350 lav a decent mic for the intended goals (listed above)?

There will be times that I'll wish to interview someone in the field and record on separate channels. I've noticed when I use the 1/4 or XLR that the sound is recorded at a lower level (even when set at the same levels on the H4n) than the other 1/8 jacked mic on back at top of H4n. But, anyway, I would like to get some mic recommendations (=< $100) for recording the interviewee. Some ambient sound is fine. I just want to be sure that the person being interviewed sounds as good/similar to me. Should I mic both of us with lav mics, different mics, or share one between us? Thoughts?

For studio, I'm considering switching from the studio gear that I listed above to a Rode Podcaster USB mic and simply record directly into my PC. Would you recommend that, or would it be better for me to get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and use the Audio-technica AT3035 mic (or the Scarlett 2i2 and a different mic)? I'm not sure what would be easier and better - just use a current mic with the 2i2 or get a USB mic.

Thanks in advance for your expertise and help.

~R

Reality, Sep 16, 2013
Ask a Question