Fix your own CD player/ Transport

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dex, Oct 9, 2004.

1. dex

dex

Hello folks,
    Some of you may remember I had a problem with my TEAC VRDS-T1 transport which was skipping on the first few tracks of every CD.

Well, it went in for repair (New laser required) £108 got it back plugged in (still shagged) HMMM Nice new laser though! Took it back to the shop, so-called enginner could find no faults. It was suggested that some of my CDs were pitted, dirty etc. hence the read errors. BBBUUULLLSHHHITTT!!!.

Being an Engineering Graduate I decided to do some research into the problem and found out that the actual mechanism may be slightly lacking in lubrication (ooeerrr) or the tracking gain was a bit out. Anyway went went to Maplin, bought some Silicone grease, applied it to the suspect looking internals and hey presto,,,,, no more skipping CDs.

The only problem I have now is that it does not always read the CD on first play. Very oftren I have to eject the CD, press play than it plays fine, but I suspect this is because I fiddled with the "tracking gain" on the digital servo circuit board. I will move it back to the positon it was in before and hopefully this wil sort the initial read problem.

Don't trust some of those so called service engineers, they really are assholes. Try to do it your self (If you're out of warranty)

Dex

dex, Oct 9, 2004
  2. dex

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

i agree.
    so long as you know what your doing and dont mind doing your homework.
    i had an old amp with an intermittant oscillating problem , i left it into a service engineer who charged me 70 squids to fix , the amp had to go back 5 times , every time i got it home and tried it the speaker protection circut would snap in.
    never did get it fixed nor did i ever get my money back.

rob, Oct 9, 2004
  3. dex

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Sounds like the old micromega problem (phillips 12.1 mech issue iirc)

lAmBoY, Oct 9, 2004
  4. dex

shrink

prolly the 12.4 mech.... a lot of players that had that would start skipping or fail to read discs at all because they used the wrong lubricant in production.

when audiolab did the 8000CD's they had to rebuild the mechs and apply new grease before they could sell them. Moral of the stort... avoid 12.4 mechs :)

shrink, Oct 10, 2004
Ask a Question