'Flemsh Masters' Tallis Scholars (Bristol)

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by ben556473, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ben556473

ben556473

Hello, just got back from Bristol with my mother. We went to see the Thomas Tallis Scholars on their 'Flemish Masters' tour. The venue was St Georges Hall in Bristol which is a nice hall, with comfy seats and a friendly atmosphere. The performance was beautifull. The first half was quite subdued in a way, then in the second with the addition of another female voice and some more varied pieces I was swept away. The group can sound like one voice at times then split into a miriad of changing and countering crescendos then drop to a single deep male voice that reveals the sad undertones to the laments. If I said they appeared to enjoy singing to us as much as we loved their singing and with no ego or apparent self importance then perhaps you might understand the impression they left on me. They appear to be normal but are in fact angels who revelled in our delight as much as we were naked in view of their talent. Beyond reproach in every way. I could not do anything else but weep for the entire second half. :D

ben556473, Feb 24, 2007
  2. ben556473

midlifecrisis Firm member

not really the done thing at this kind of concert, surprised you weren't asked to leave.. ;)

sounds wonderful. there's nothing like it when live music all comes together in the right ambience - gets those numinous brain cells firing on all cylinders. I remember wandering into Notre Dame in Paris years ago when they were rehearsing for a Bach organ concert. It was dark and almost empty for once, with this phenomenal music - and enormous, physical bass that must have had the gargoyles wobbling on the roof. Really awe inspiring - I'll never forget it.

midlifecrisis, Feb 25, 2007
Ask a Question