for sale Alon IV mk II loudspeakers £1500

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by gavman, Apr 5, 2007.

1. gavman

gavman

Hello chaps :)

these are by far the best speakers i have ever heard
    i have owned them for ten years, in which time they never ceased to amaze me with their dynamics, soundstaging and openess, making every other loudspeaker sound dull, boxy and flat.

before buying them i went on a quest to find the best speakers for £10,000, and these were the clear winners from a field including Wilson Watt/Puppies, Cadence Arcas, Tannoy GRF corner horns, Snell type A's, TDL reference standards, Quad esl 63's, Martin Logan and Dali hybrids and JM Lab models (i forget which now). there were countless others, but these are the ones i recall.

i am selling them to make way for their big brothers, the Alon Phalanx system from the Lighthouse studio (retail: us $37,000)

the IV's are 3-way with an open baffle mid/top design, (as are all Alons), with a 12inch bass driver in a sealed enclosure beneath, and finished in red cherry.
    they feature high quality alnico cobalt magnets and are designed to be tri-wired with three sets of gold binding posts each, lf, mf & hf.
    i can supply them with the Alon speaker cable made employing the same wire as used in the speakers and retailing at £600

they have been partnered with a Cranfield Rock tt, Audio Research sp14 pre and Krell ksa 100 mkii power and can be demoe'd in that system

basically, they do everything.
    bass extension rivals big transmission lines, but with speed and control they can't hope to match. the mid/tops are, however, just in a different league to anything else i have ever heard, panels included, but again with dynamics that electrostats or ribbons could only dream of.
    their rivals Wilson might edge it in the pinpoint accurate imaging stakes, but the Alon's have a much bigger soundstage and are more involving. there is nothing to choose on dynamics or spls, the Alons will go just as loud as Wilsons without distortion.

drawbacks?

they're quite big, (i'll post some pics asap), they do prefer a bigger room to really breathe and show what they can do, also require high quality partnering equipment as their transparency will expose any poor components upstream.
    however, i'm breaking both rules currently (small semi and computer source) and they still sound fabulous

the retail price was £4,800; i am looking for £1500 including £600's worth of cable

out of body experiences come as standard....

gav

gavman, Apr 5, 2007
Ask a Question