For The Boys Only?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by osama, Jul 20, 2003.

1. osama

osama Perenially Bored

This is somewhat a spin off of the thread Hi-FI and women posted by AT and this is serious.

I observed that most of the posters in fora like this are men. This rather point out that hi-fi and anything related to it like music, are of great interest only for the male specie.

There's no doubt that there are women also who like hi-fi and music, but they seem to be not that active in any discussions on these. Here in this forum alone or even in HFC, seldom would you encounter a poster with boobs:p Or am i missing something here?

It would be interesting to know what they think about stuffs like these also.

osama, Jul 20, 2003
  2. osama

Hex Spurt

Women like discussing emotional issues, and chatting either face to face or on the phone because they use a lot of empathy;
    e.g. If you say "I've got a terrible headache"
    a bloke replies "Take some asprin",
    a woman would probably say "Oh, have you? I had a bad headache yesterday"

Also, the gate keeper to this and other fora is a computer. A logical device devoid of emotion (until Windows crashes again, and then it gets very emotional :grrr: ) so few women cross the boundary to our world.

Sexist views? Perhaps. Correct though, you can't deny it. :D

Hex Spurt, Jul 20, 2003
  3. osama

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

One of my female lecturers at uni is into HIFI, she has even built her own speakers, she had an depth discussion with me about cross overs and what makes a good one.

She is also quite fit, she can only be about 5 years older than me bit thats the not point. My sister does enjoy my HIFI but I can never her really see her getting into seperates even if she had the money.

But in general if you talk to women about DACS or tweeters they will think you are mad. I tried to explain to a girl what a DAC was once, I gave up after 2 seconds. Although my sister who is 17, she could explain what a DAC or Cartridge does. Not that she is interested, she has just had to put up with my hobby for the last 5 years. :):rolleyes: :MILD: :drum: :SCIDB: :bookworm:

Sorry

amazingtrade, Jul 20, 2003
  4. osama

Ian J

I'll bet that you're Mr Popular at parties :D

Ian J, Jul 20, 2003
  5. osama

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

it just came up in conversation as it does. OK I bought it up :(

amazingtrade, Jul 20, 2003
  6. osama

space cadet Far out...

You paid this woman to listen to you about DACs?!?

space cadet, Jul 20, 2003
  7. osama

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I was quite upset when I first discovered Clapham Slappa wa a bloke! I thought I was well in!

I'm sure several of the posters here have a fine set of "man boobs"

MO!, Jul 21, 2003
  8. osama

osama Perenially Bored

You must've been misled by his avatar :D

cheers

osama, Jul 21, 2003
  9. osama

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I know of at least 3 women who are "into" hifi, even if one of them doesn't actually own seperates of her own...

But yeah, you're right - it's male dominated; most women seem to be into slagging mates off, buying clothes or just being self obsessed in my experience - it's a rare find to find a woman who has more than 100 CDs, let alone a decent system. But they'll have 34 pairs of shoes and 195 dresses that they'll only wear once...

Women ARE from Mars after all :)

Oh - and on the subject of empathy, I must be a bird then 'cos I'll usually empathise on that kind of stuff as well - d'oh!

domfjbrown, Jul 21, 2003
  10. osama

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Mrs MO owns the required 34 pairs of shoes, and the 195 dresses. She also has (approx) 300 cds, and a seperates system! Oh, and shock horror! Her hifi is even on a dedicated rack. and wait for it.......... dun dun DUNNNN!!!!!!!! She even had *proper* ICS and speaker cables.

She did however allow the "I like the look of it" thing come into her choice for Marantz kit.

MO!, Jul 21, 2003
  11. osama

SCREW that little misdemeanor - Marantz gear's fairly decent and if she's got the rack and everything, hold onto her dude!

(Where did you find her and does she have a sister???) :)

domfjbrown, Jul 21, 2003
  12. osama

tones compulsive cantater

It's really quite easy to explain. Little boys never actually grow up; the toys merely become more expensive and the excuses to justify their purchase more sophisticated, if not more plausible.

Little girls, on the other hand, do indeed grow up and generally don't need toys. I live in a houseful of women and none of them is into "toys" of any kind. And, no, they don't buy a lot of clothes either - the girls have nearly to be forced into it (No.1 daughter has to be physically dragged to a shoe shop in the rapidly disintegrating current pair). They make me feel very guilty.

tones, Jul 21, 2003
  13. osama

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Women and Hi-Fi?

Anyone noticed that Sharon in Eastenders has a little Richer Sounds-esque set-up in her lounge? There's definately a Cambridge Audio amp there and some floorstanding speakers from time to time, and a TT they've rescued from the ark....

Not that I'm forced to watch it much of course ;) . I wonder if Leonard Smalls has had a hand in that, (the Hi-fi, not Sharon... :D ).

Cheers

timpy, Jul 21, 2003
  14. osama

MO! MOnkey`ead!

LOL!

She has two sisters. Both are taken, and she's the pick of the bunch anyhow ;)

I'm currently sat at her house (while she's out working) listening to some UNKLE albums (one double cd, and one triple cd) that I never knew even existed.

I think the key is, MOst women are shopaholics. Guide them in their spending ways and you're both happy :D

Did I mention she can outdrink amazing "6 pints" trade too? ;)

MO!, Jul 21, 2003
  15. osama

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Is a "toys" joke here off limits?

MO!, Jul 21, 2003
  16. osama

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Indeed, far far far too much information there Tones.... :)

Cheers

timpy, Jul 21, 2003
  17. osama

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tones,
    ime women have the most expensive toys of all... for example, children, horses, personal trainers, etc. of course this is a sexist pov but then this is a sexist thread. ;) :D

in reality whatever your 'hobby' is be it hi-fi, knitting, religeon or whatever for me the main issue is how long it keeps you and your partner apart. everything else is of minor importance once suitable boundaries are set that both can live with. of course if no agreement as to boundaries can be reached then the relationship is probably a non starter. the trick is to not be blinded by that initial rush of passion and agree that your 5k rig is an eyesore and that it should be replaced with a mitsui micro system in beech and chrome. stick to your guns about what is important to you but be flexible on what is less so and you'll be ok ime.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 21, 2003
  18. osama

tones compulsive cantater

AFAIK, naturally....

tones, Jul 21, 2003
  19. osama

HenryT

:D Hmm, now that is a rarity. I've come across what you might losely term a few "female geeks" in my time too, quite sexy IMO, but that's very very rare.

As anyone who works or has worked in the world of IT or engineering will probably agree with me, there are very few female "techies" to be found. Having said that, I've also had 3 different programming lecturers in the computer science courses through my time at college and university who were all female.

Music is definitely more of an evenly split thing IME, both men and women are equally as passionate about music alone, but the means rather than the end is a predominately male obession. Like Tones said, it's mainly the "Toy" factor I'm sure that keeps them away. The part of choosing and obsessing over the kit itself is I'd guess seen mainly to be a "sterile" occupation, whereas the end result and other aesthetic consideration of the hobby more easily identifiable with their more "emotional" psyche (ref. Hex).

I'm willing to bet money that there are no female contributors registered on this forum, and I strongly suspect that the only female lurkers/readers of this forum are partners of active posters (although that's probably rare too as the male members are probably trying to hide information about their latest or proposed hi-fi purchases from their partners anyway). On the HFC forum (when I use to post over there), there was allegdly 2 female posters. GAL (Get A Life - haha very clever) which was before my time but someone mentioned her (him?) on Groovehandle in a thread similar to this one, and then there was Lisa-Marie (a female Naimee) who I strongly suspected even to this day wasn't! :eek: IMHO, when on the net always assume you are conversing with somone male, until you've actually met them "in the flesh". ;)

HenryT, Jul 21, 2003
  20. osama

...and of course there's Suzanne Payne of "Suzanne's totally bitchin' kit" website fame - now she's a hifi AND home cinema afficiendo - cool :)

domfjbrown, Jul 21, 2003
Ask a Question