Freezing CDs?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by spica, Apr 10, 2009.

1. spica

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Go get em Tone's :)
    How the devil are you my elder name sake?

wadia-miester, Apr 16, 2009
  2. spica

Paul Ranson

I think it's right. The disc is read through the 1.2mm poly carbonate layer.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Apr 16, 2009
  3. spica

spica

'Ranson' Yes..the disc is read from beneath the 1.2mm (Protective Plastic Substrate) polycarbonate Plastic, the Label 'Is' printed onto the Protective Acrylic layer. No... Tones, the Cd is not read through the Printed Label ! :)

'sq225917' Quote: I have never read any Hifi forum thread that contained as much utter bollocks.

am sure 'Everything' you do 'sq225917' is of the utmost importance.. It's a matter of perspective :MILD:

spica, Apr 16, 2009
  4. spica

RobHolt Moderator

I think that method is flawed, so I would propose the following additional testing should your results show a preference for the frozen disc:

Once your testing has been concluded, send the discs down to me and I will play them to you under blind conditions. A number of systems can be assembled for the testing and I am happy for one other person (must be another believing this stuff) to also take the test. I will purchase a third copy of the disc for control purposes. Results to be published here.

RobHolt, Apr 16, 2009
  5. spica

tones compulsive cantater

You're right, Paul, I got it wrong. Apologies.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
    tones, Apr 16, 2009
  6. spica

tones compulsive cantater

I'm good, thanks, ol' spud, very busy, so not much time for forums (and, I confess, much interest any more).

I hope things go well at Coherent Systems. I'd love to drop in and see it all, but, alas, all my visits to the UK take me either to Belfast or to Kent, neither of which is just down the road from you. Perhaps one day...not that I can afford you, of course!

tones, Apr 16, 2009
  7. spica

spica

RHolt to Zanesh.. Looks like an interesting proposal, though the question i would ask/propose, is that of the listeners of the blind test..how would it be judged that their *few* ears/neurons have similar sensitivity to find sound frequencies, i have an exact copy of my CD that a friend has very kindly sent to me, the Frozen Cd will be ready for test by the weekend, the CD will be tested for difference from what i hear, from what my nearest-dearest will hear and from what friends of hifi and non hifi hear, i reckon on/after about twelve? opinions i will have a result of worth, of course..the result from my own hearing either negative or positive is my matter, for it to be of worth to others as absolute.. needs a greater agreement, though the deciding factor in this instance may need to be unanimous.

As Zanesh.. i am entering the test with an open mind :)

spica, Apr 16, 2009
  8. spica

penance Arrogant Cock

Tones, If I remember correctly that is where your roots are?

May i chat with via PM about belfast and surroundings?

penance, Apr 16, 2009
  9. spica

RobHolt Moderator

No need to complicate the issue. Simply hearing a difference will do just fine, with a reasonable degree of repeatability.

RobHolt, Apr 16, 2009
  10. spica

Tenson Moderator

Anyone tried playing a frozen record? You'd need to borrow that walk-in freezer for your collection though Rob!

Tenson, Apr 16, 2009
  11. spica

spica

Ok ...fine, buzzing like a bee in ear of one, two like on ice as their teeth chatter and three, three is as deaf as a post (but in denial)..with four.. all is well, but believe it.. there is/isn't a difference :confused:

Obviously worse (listener) case scenario, but as you say, 'Results To Be Published Here', well 'Malarkey' ..results of the findings *of the few* are published elsewhere, and as you well know, what good has it done :D

spica, Apr 16, 2009
  12. spica

spica

Was i a little pedantic or was the other a little obtuse...i dunno, guess i'm not used to knowing the best of ears. Lemmies were never that good (surprise) though Mick Jones's (nice guy) were good, there were those that kept good sound (in home) systems back then, Phil Lynott at Richmond (rip) , Richard Coles (Zep) as expected and Phil Coleen (def-lep) so not all is lost, can't be there just to look pretty can it ? Am sure the ears you find 'RobH' will be worthy. (as they all are ?) :D

spica, Apr 16, 2009
  13. spica

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Checked in to see if I had been savaged reccomending the Nespa Pro but seems nobody noticed it. Phew.

Yes, treating CD's does work without a doubt. I have also found that burning on to black CD's works very well too. The CD lathe also brings about results as owners can testify. The Nespa Pro is the biggest CD improver I have come across however. On the other hand the pens never did anything for me - and auric illuminator did nothing whatsoever. However - a cetain brand of scratch cleaner really does work.

As for freezing - it is also well known as a trick to repair CD's and DVD's as is polishing with toothpaste. I have dozens of students over the years who thought their CD's and DVd's were ruined who have thanked me for the toothpaste and freezing trick.

Open minds and a willingness to experiment.

larkrise, Apr 17, 2009
  14. spica

Haselsh1 Shaun H

If you take a brand new CD and breathe heavily on the playing surface you'll see in the mist a heavy pattern. This pattern is very likely a chemical contamination put there during manufacture. If you now use an 80% solution of Isopropyl Alcohol (Propan-2-ol) in distilled water and spray the CD buffing it up with a new duster, you may notice a distinct mirror like finish that was not there before. Now play the CD and enjoy. The difference...??? That's up to you to decide.
    Do not think you can use furniture polish. It contains chemicals that will coat the CD making it no better than it was initially. These chemicals include Glycerol put there to make one's hands gorgeous and soft.
    Just a thought...!!!

Haselsh1, Apr 17, 2009
  15. spica

Neil

-

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
    Neil, Apr 17, 2009
  16. spica

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hi Tones,

Things are progressing in a good manner thank you sir.
    On the whole I have little time from them also, work is pretty steady !
    Listening costs nothing Tones, neither does a good refreshments.
    How often are you in Kent/N-I these days?

Tones the getting on a bit now

wadia-miester, Apr 17, 2009
  17. spica

The Devil IHTFP

Anyone tried banging their head on the floor repeatedly just before listening? Or doing some handstands?

It could make a difference, guys.

The Devil, Apr 17, 2009
  18. spica

RobHolt Moderator

Oh yes, forgot about that!

One of my clients imports and freezes exotic seafood for distribution in the UK. Guess I could rent part of his freezer room (constant -20c) and move my entire system in there.

RobHolt, Apr 17, 2009
  19. spica

RobHolt Moderator

Welcome back to the asylum James. Did you have a good holiday?

RobHolt, Apr 17, 2009
  20. spica

granville

Perhaps you should try it before your next post !

As you are pathologically incapable of ever offering constructive criticism perhaps you should seek some medical intervention, maybe a frontal lobotomy would improve your ability to interact with others of differing opinions, whilst also reducing the inanity of your baseless, egotistical and unwarranted statements.

Sir, you are an arse :p

granville, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question