French keyboard music

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Murphydog, May 12, 2005.

1. Murphydog

Murphydog

Hello, I've been very pleased to discover this part of the forum and have found the erudition of posters here enjoyable and informative. In reading through the extensive Bach keyboard posts I have come across numerous references to French music of the period and I wonder if anybody would care to recommend some discs to try since I am keen to explore this repertoire.
    Many thanks.

Murphydog, May 12, 2005
  2. Murphydog

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Well. Perhaps first one ought to begin with Froberger (the Leonhardt records); there is also Louis Couperin (there is an outstanding Leonhardt one DHM; a less good Asperen one EMI; a fascinating one, if you have a very good hifi system, by Laurent Stewart, chez Pièrre Vérany); D'Anglebert's integral by Rousset L'oisau Lyre; Chambonnières record by Skip Sempé DHM. If you like the piano, Couperin has been rather well served by Angela Hewitt (Hyperion, I think), but I'd search for harpsichord renderings (Leonhardt'd Philips last one is very good). I hope this helps.

Rodrigo de Sá, May 15, 2005
  3. Murphydog

Murphydog

Thanks very much, exactly the sort of list I was hoping for,in the meantime I shall carry on enjoying my budget box of Leonhardt's Partitas and English Suites whose purchase was inspired by reading the Bach keyboard threads.

Murphydog, May 15, 2005
  4. Murphydog

TDA1540

Harmonia Mundi:

Rameau Transcriptions Gilbert
    Rameau Suites Christie

Naxos: Forqueray Beausejour

Archiv: Clerambault Gilbert

Erato: F. Couperin Beaumont

TDA1540, May 31, 2005
Ask a Question