From integrated to pre/power combo advice needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Moog, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Moog

Moog

Hello all, I've recently caught the upgrade bug and have been scouring the net for info/advice :)

My current setup, bought new 7 years ago: Alchemist Kraken APD6A MkII int. amp, Mission 780 standmounters, Micromega Stage 2 CD player. I've had to bring each piece in for repairs at least once (the missions 3 times!) and the kit is showing its age.

Due to real life financial constraints, I have less money to spend now than I did, so secondhand is probably the only way to go for better overall sound. I was thinking of MF X-P100 pre/power combo and an appropriate speaker upgrade.

If I could get your opinions on the MF X-P100 pre amp and matching power amp, and what standmount speakers you think would make a good match, I'd be much obliged.

Moog, Sep 12, 2006
  2. Moog

zanash

If you have the ability to replace certain components in each they should make a fine combo.....

The stock components are junk [actually not fair as the amps work but I think you get my drift!]!

zanash, Sep 12, 2006
  3. Moog

Moog

Replacing stock components is so out of my league :D

Moog, Sep 12, 2006
  4. Moog

Moog

And here are the exact details of the problem I'm faced with.

I listen to mostly world and rock music (not the new agey stuff, African and Cuban rhythms mostly) in equal measure, and I would say “feeling†the musicians' energy, a natural sound (honest to the recording? uncolored?) and a fine sense of rhythm are most important to me (in that order). As to how loud, I would say pretty loud, and sometimes very loud, but that seems rather subjective.

Overall I enjoy how the music sounds. It's got clarity and a certain soulfulness and warmth that I find appealing, but I dislike how the treble is overly bright and sometimes it seems that the sound is a bit sloppy rhythmically especially at louder volumes. Just for comparison, I borrowed my father's Dynaudio Special Ones and even though it sounded somehow “muddy†through my system, I absolutely loved how the instruments and vocals sounded the way they were supposed to sound.

I would hope any new kit I buy would help the music sound more focused, controlled and honest to the recording. Eh, that sounds expensive haha. Anyway, I have this idea of getting a pair of ProAc Tablette 50s (I always like how they sound whenever I hear 'em) second hand and pairing them with a decent pre/power combo, which I feel I can do with around 1,500 USD budget.

My listening/movie area is squarish, 4.5 meters in length by 3.5 in width. I sit 4 meters away from the far wall. The speakers are on stands 2 feet from the rear wall.

That's about it. Really sorry if that was more detailed than you ever wanted.

Moog, Sep 12, 2006
  5. Moog

Garmt

What's your budget?

Garmt, Sep 12, 2006
  6. Moog

unclepuncle

:)

unclepuncle, Sep 12, 2006
  7. Moog

zanash

the nad pre power combos are very good value ...especially the silver lines [?] so I'm told ....

But the MF stuff is good but can be made to sound fantastic with a little effort and know how.

zanash, Sep 12, 2006
  8. Moog

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'd look at a valve amp if i were you or possibly a solid state power with a valve pre. this is the whole point of a pre / power setup, you can mix and match otherwise an integrated is a better bet.
    this latter combo is more likely given your need for stand mount speakers. if you can get some high efficiency floorstanders then go for one of the well recommended chinese valve integrateds and a pair of efficient speakers and be amazed.
    best thing you can do is get out there and listen to lots of kit - i guess you are based in the states - a shame as the spread out nature of the place means demoing certain brands is next to impossible however take a look on audiogon and see what you can find.
    on the subject of the mf kit - i'd not be looking in that direction if i were you but ymmv...
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Sep 12, 2006
  9. Moog

Moog

Thanks for the input guys. 2 specific questions: Where do you find well-recommended Chinese valve amps and why not the MF kit? A second hand Musical Fidelity X-P100 Pre-Amplfier seems half decent, doesnt it?

Moog, Sep 13, 2006
  10. Moog

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

do you have a little room?

why the standmounts?

bottleneck, Sep 13, 2006
  11. Moog

Moog

Yep, not much room at all unfortunately. 4.x3.5 meter space to work with.

Moog, Sep 13, 2006
  12. Moog

greg Its a G thing

greg, Sep 13, 2006
  13. Moog

nando nando

hi moog, got a set of m.f. xpv3pre and xp200pwr bran new bxed and guaranteed for 2years if you are interested,regards.

nando, Sep 19, 2006
  14. Moog

julian2002 Muper Soderator

cattylink is the best place to start for chinese amps although there are a few other places that sell chinese stuff rebranded.
    i'm not a huge fan of mf - i get the impression that in the lower ranges most of the budget is spent on aesthetics rather than internals - just my opinion. if you like the way the stuff sounds then go for it you're the one doing the listening.

julian2002, Sep 20, 2006
  15. Moog

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

HI Moog

It sounds like you are sick of repairing equipment, so you have a dilema -

do you...

a) buy second hand (just as likely to need repair work as what you have now, but much higher sound quality than you can get any other way)

or

b) buy new in order to get a warranty, and accept that you won't get as good sound quality as you might otherwise see.

If you go with a) - check out Audiogon. I must admit I buy second hand - but I accept the eventuality of repair costs. I see that cost as a small price to pay for owning a system that would cost 3 x as much new.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1163623493
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1162244448

The above 2 components are really very good, and are one suggestion as to a direction you could go in. By keeping the cd player for now, you can really pump money into the other 2 as above. The prices are slightly above, but as you know people take offers..

b) if you want new - I'd look at some active studio monitors and a cd player with an in-built volume control. This would mean you only have to get 2 components and your money will stretch further.

I'm working on the basis that you don't have/care about LP or radio.

e.g.:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IN-BOX-DY...ryZ47093QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bottleneck, Sep 20, 2006
Ask a Question