FS Promitheus Preamp DUAL MONO TVC Reference Version

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by larkrise, Mar 11, 2007.

1. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Sold

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
    larkrise, Mar 11, 2007
  2. larkrise

Parkandbike

Promitheus

Hi. You have PM

Parkandbike, Mar 11, 2007
  3. larkrise

Lautrec

Larkrise, are you sure:)?

I've just had the first serious TVC demo in my system. I am still in a state of shock - probably one of the best sounds I've ever heard, and that was in my living room. It was a fully custom made thing, no brand names involved.

If your Eklipse beats what I've heard this evening, than you must be a lucky guy. I know Eklipse well, yes - it's a gem among preamps - but it can't play better than a proper TVC. No chance.

Lautrec, Mar 11, 2007
  4. larkrise

Tenson Moderator

Like this one? http://www.ypsilonelectronics.com/products/PST100/

A bargain at only £30,000!

When you say its dual mono, does that mean you have to turn two volume controls? Or does it just mean two separate transformers inside, like the MF?

Tenson, Mar 12, 2007
  5. larkrise

Lautrec

wouldn't like to hijack laurence's ad, but i'll answer shortly.

the TVC i listened has nothing to do with the one from the pic - no fat alloy fronts, no shiny disco balls.

mine was an absolutely basic and stripped down prototype version housed in a wooden shoebox: 1 input, 1 output, 2 transformers inside, 2 separate volume controls with 2 9-position only selectors , cheapo RCA connectors (£4-5 for 4:)). actually the guy who made it just wanted to test a principle of TVC design - does it generally work for him or not. a result of 6 days work (he found someone who wound the transformers according to his instructions) left me speechless and i tried some very good units in my system including stuff such as pass labs X2.5 (roughly £4000 new). in terms of realism, transparency, tonal corectness effortless dynamics and - last but not least - lack of any listener's fatigue, regardless of how loud you go - this is now a benchmark preamp for me.
    the designer believes that winding transformers is art and that it's a principle of TVC that just works and he is one of the guys to trust - his active preamp is rather brilliant example of a true single ended preamp that you will never find as a commercial product - too good to be given to masses: a simple topology - 1 valve with (again) a massive output transformer per channel, with a valve rectified PSU.
    i'll post some pics in promitheus TVC thread, maybe a mod can move our posts there?!
    laurence, don't do it for god sake:)

Lautrec, Mar 12, 2007
  6. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

SOLD - sorry Lautrec, don't be surprised if a tvc returns, but still evaluating the Eklipse!

larkrise, Mar 12, 2007
  7. larkrise

Parkandbike

Bought

Thanks Larkrise.

It's in the system (after a fashion) and is certainly different to the, fairly serious, stepped attenuator I was using. Still trying to understand the diffferences, but I think I'll be hanging on to it! Now all I have to do is re-instate the high pass filter for the quads and find a sensible way of rearranging the equipment on the rack.

Parkandbike, Mar 13, 2007
Ask a Question