'funky' achromat

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by keith, Jan 26, 2006.

1. keith

keith

Hi folks.

Anyone tried the Achromat from 'Funk'? (BTW the Funk website is worth reading).

Recently changing from an original rubber mat (Ariston 80) to a solid silicone mat has brought some more detail.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 26, 2006
  2. keith

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

There are some people over on Pink Fish who have and reported pretty positively. Do a search and you should find something. I had a listen to it at the Heathrow show and though the demonstration might have been considered flawed, it was certainly effective. With and without seemed to make a difference, with improved detail being the obvious change, long term who knows there may have been other less positive changes - you can't tell in a ten minute dem in a hotel room :) , but I suspect results are going to be very dependent on what its used on.

Uncle Ants, Jan 26, 2006
  3. keith

keith

Thanks Uncle:D

The "SRM/Tech" makes some difference on the 'Ariston RD80', a 'Mycro' and a 'Dual'; worth the try IMO.

BTW, as you are 'flogging' the OC9 in your shop - nice easy-to-read layout - may I submit that the AT150MLX is worth a listen also: at 1.6gm (in an 'Alphson H100S') it shows delicate treble, plus clear bass that, only at first, gives the impression of bass-lightness.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 26, 2006
  4. keith

Yes you may :) ... except AT don't distribute it in the UK and any examples you come across are likely grey imports (not that I have a real issue with that or anything).

Uncle Ants, Jan 26, 2006
  5. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes I have tried it on my brinkmann. To be honest I couldnt hear a change.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
    anon_bb, Jan 26, 2006
  6. keith

lordsummit moderate mod

Now that amazes me

lordsummit, Jan 26, 2006
  7. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

Well it sounded marginally worse if anything and I did adjust the vta. Dont get me wrong - I love everything Arthur does. I have a PT decapo dac and have owned several of his decks. The new funk v is the best deck under a grand by some margin. But on my deck that particular product didnt achieve much.

anon_bb, Jan 26, 2006
  8. keith

keith

Mine came direct from Japan. If you've a spare eve, call in (Derby way) and have a listen.

I think the improvement/change that has made the BIGGEST difference recently has been upgrading (thanks to 'Wilmslow') the x-over components for the "TDL"s: more clarity.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 27, 2006
  9. keith

darrylfunk

bbv

what model mat did you try ?

darrylfunk, Jan 27, 2006
  10. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

Is there more than 1? I just tried the one Arthur sent me. It was a few mm thick mat.

anon_bb, Jan 27, 2006
  11. keith

darrylfunk

i'm still waiting

for some dj versions ?

back to the details you would have been sent the basic 3 mm one but there is a bigger one and it is superior to the 3mm model.
    how did you couple it to your platter did you just rest it on the brinkmanns platter and did you use a light clamp or small weight to get a good connection between the surfaces.

darrylfunk, Jan 27, 2006
  12. keith

anon_bb Honey Badger

3mm sounds about right. I upped the vta by 3mm too. The brinkmann has a threaded clamp and I used that as always. The brinkmann alloy platter is very inert and also has an impedance matching interface glued to the top of the platter. This may explain the lack of positive result. Many others have found the achromat works wonders on other decks and I have absolute faith in Arthurs products.

anon_bb, Jan 27, 2006
  13. keith

Could be. Its a guess, but if the Brinkmann has an interface designed for mechanical impedance matching it'll already be doing what the achromat is designed to do (at least as I understand it). I'd suspect it wouldn't make whole lot of difference to the Michell decks or the decks in the Pro-Ject lineup to cite two examples, which use the same technique.

Uncle Ants, Jan 27, 2006
  14. keith

May well do. Thanks for the offer. Where "Derby way" are you? I'm in Stapleford Notts, just the other side of the border from Sandiacre

Uncle Ants, Jan 27, 2006
  15. keith

keith

In Littleover, West side of Derby, ([email protected]) if you or anyone wants to hear a weird collection of hi-fi.:mad:

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 28, 2006
  16. keith

That's kind of intriguing :) Weird how?

Uncle Ants, Jan 29, 2006
  17. keith

keith

You asked for it:eek: :

VINYL "ARISTON AUDIO RD80SL mk2" TURNTABLE + "SRM" solid silicone mat + "ALPHASON H100S" ARM with ceramic bearings + "AUDIO TECHNICA AT150MLX" CARTRIDGE (boron shaft, ceramic body, microline stylus) (Japan-sourced 2005 model) + "MICHELL" clamp (all seated on neoprene-damped spikes, onto "TARGET" wall shelf). Mains-supplied via "Paravicini/Hi-Fi News" electronic mains stabiliser & speed control. Linked (by "Cambridge Scientific Supplies" (0.25mm) solid silver leads + "WBT" locking plugs) to amp via "GRAHAM SLEE GRAMAMP 2" (2002 model) PHONO PREAMPLIFIER.

SHELLACS "LENCO G99" VARIABLE-SPEED TURNTABLE + "LUSTRE" ARM + "SHURE M75-78", modified "HODGSON/EXPERT PICKUPS", CARTRIDGE.

CD "MARANTZ CD 6000SE", modified by Ken Ishiwata (2002 model) (top weighted with bags of fine sand) + Sorbothane support feet + home-made 4-ply plaited solid silver leads to amp.

RADIO "TECHNICS G70L" STEREO TUNER.

CASSETTE TAPE "NAKAMICHI CASSETTE DECK ONE" 3-HEAD TAPE RECORDER.

CASSETTE TWO "MARANTZ-SUPERSCOPE CD330" PORTABLE 3-HEAD TAPE RECORDER.

CASSETTE THREE "YAMAHA KX-393" 2-HEAD TAPE RECORDER (link for computer work).

INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER "AVI LABORATORY SERIES" 175 wpc (2004 model). Mains lead made from plaited 3 x solid-core copper (1.5 sq mm) cable allowing <50 amps; "Marinco" hospital-grade IEC plugs used. Connected to speakers (by single-wiring as "AVI" requests) via 6 sq mm twisted copper mains cable, coated in exposed parts with silver solder.

SPEAKERS "TDL STUDIO 3" TRANSMISSION-LINE: each comprises (in D'Appolito configuration): 2 x "TDL/Elac" 200 mm bass-mid units, + 1 x "ScanSpeak 9500" 28 mm textile tweeter (replacing the original "TDL/Elac" 25 mm metal-dome tweeter); all crossover components + wiring upgraded November 2005. Seated, via 'Bluetac', on "TDL" metal stands, spiked to floor.

VIDEO (VHS) "TOSHIBA 858" NICAM.

VIDEO (DVD) "TOSHIBA" 330 (2003 multiregion model).

COMPUTER - AUDIO SECTION "CREATIVE AUDIGY 2" 32-bit SOUNDCARD + "PLEXTOR 740A" DVD WRITER (2005 model) + "PLEXTOR 52/24/52" CDR WRITER; configured by "SCAN ELECTRONICS". Various software programs for audio restoration.

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Jan 30, 2006
Ask a Question