Further museings from House of Penance

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Jul 7, 2003.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

well first off, thanks to all that persuaded me to stick with it, the Dynaudio's in particular:cool:

From thursday evening untill today i have had the DVD player hooked up and playing Prodigy Fat Of The Land all night (quietly) and all day while we are out to help burn in the contours. Initial report is that we are in love :D , certainly settled down a bit but i feel a while longer yet before they will really sing.

I tried the home brew filter again today after haveing it plugged in on it's own since thursday, well it was worth the wait, instantly i could notice a wider and deeper stage and also slightly better detailed/controlled bass. This was with just the CDp, haveing the amp aswell on the filter doesnt do so well.

The sibilence problem is still evident but not as bad, tho in honesty i couldnt say if it has got better or i/we have learnt to live with it. What i have noticed is that it is worse at higher (not anti-social) volumes, this leaves me to beleive it may be down to room acoustics or the Audilab showing it's weakness thru the Dyn's. Im open to other ideas on that one tho.

I also got an Olsen mains block today from work, not the audio one but thier industrial one, so no filter but a nice thick earthed steel case. I dont know if this helps but it must be better than the cheapo plastic object it replaced.

I should get my Eupens tomorrow one for the CDp (high current version) and one for the Amp (csa2.5). Also i got a mains conditioner off ebay (£16 :) ), its made by an Italien company called Lare, i cant find any info but i thought for £16 its worth a shot. I should get that on Wednesday. So im thinking ill go
    wall>conditioner>Olsen>filter
    Ill let you know how that goes.

So thanks to all that helped me thru my upgrade angst last week:) ;)

Just give it a while and ill be asking for help choosing an amp:p

Only bad thing at the moment is that with all the new bits my poor old lin basik is souding somewhat outclassed:rolleyes:

so Amp then TT (Mrs Penance already wants to hear a gyro deck!)

penance, Jul 7, 2003
  2. penance

zanash

I'd go wall>filter>olsen>conditioner

That's asuming the conditioner is an isolation device. You don't want anything that the other bits do to intrude on the PSU of CDP or amp in my opinion.

What was the curcuit you used for the homebrew filter ?

zanash, Jul 8, 2003
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Yup, the conditioner is an isolation tranny

the filter was done to the triode double choke design

penance, Jul 8, 2003
  4. penance

HenryT

Did your Eupens arrive today penance? :)

HenryT, Jul 8, 2003
  5. penance

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Using the Eupens

Penance,

I see you've ordered one of each version of the Eupen p/c's, and very good they are too. However, I think you'll get better results from them if you use the 4 on the amp and the 2.5 on your cdp. Chances are whatever amp you settle on, it'll be the component drawing more juice.

JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 8, 2003
  6. penance

HenryT

Tis always worth a bit of experimentation, IMO, why not try both ways round.

JTB's suggestion is certainly the most logical. Then again I have another theory, and that is that the bigger Eupen also provides more filtering so might be more suitable for the CD player - CDPs (DACs/CDTs/etc) tend to chuck out more crap back onto the mains and also be the most sensitive to impure incoming mains supply then any other component in an audio system. All IMHO of course. :)

HenryT, Jul 8, 2003
  7. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

got them last night
    initial impressions are good
    larger cable on cdp
    more dynamic and faster sounding

gotta run for work now, ill try and say more later:)

penance, Jul 9, 2003
  8. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Well i put them on last night, following Audusa's recomendation of larger for cdp and smaller for amp. I may change this over the next few days to see what happens.

I guess theres not a lot i can say that you wont of heard before, suffice to say that the proverbial vale being lifted is the effect i had.
    What impressed me instantly was the way everything seemed more gelled together while also have slightly more sepparation.
    The sibilance problem is now half way to being sorted i feel, voices were projected a lot better, or to be more precise they were probably in the same position but cleaner and better seperated.
    Also the increase in speed was noticed whith a smile, things now start and stop a lot better/sharper, i think this also added to the overall gelling of the music.
    The bass has tightened, it wasnt bad before but has now been tweaked just that little extra.
    I must admit to being somewhat sceptical of the gain for cost of mains cable, but it was certainly worth it.

Only problem i found is the cost issue, why?
    well previously i would of only considered max of £10 on a mains cable, so i have now spent 6 times that amount. I obviously have realised the benifits of this, but the problem lies in speaker cable. I was considering £2-300 on speaker cable, so if i apply the same principle to that i would now be looking at spending £12-1800 on speaker cable:eek: :eek: :p

penance, Jul 9, 2003
  9. penance

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi
    I dont know anyone on the forum who actually PAID more than £500 for their speaker cable.

Most people spend under £150, I'd estimate.

Certainly, I wouldnt get anything better than £5 a metre stuff personally until you bump your amp up a bit.

Or second hand stuff, which is easy to find at www.ex-dem.co.uk or www.audiogon.com

I paid £100 for a 3m pair of Goertz cable, and I wouldnt consider spending more personally.

Your choice though matey! :D

Cheers
    all the best

Chris

bottleneck, Jul 9, 2003
  10. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

twas just a joke;)

penance, Jul 9, 2003
  11. penance

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

oooooops!:banghead: