Gaincloning

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by jimmymcfarrell, Feb 8, 2004.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Can someone expalin Gaincloning for me please?

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 8, 2004
  2. jimmymcfarrell

penance Arrogant Cock

A gainclone is a single chip per channel amp. Minimum components and short signal paths, few different topologies aswell.
    Search google for gainclone, loads of sites with schematics/projects.

penance, Feb 8, 2004
  3. jimmymcfarrell

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Spotted this thread and did a quick Google for Gainclones. It's got me intereseted in building one now (especially since I have plenty of spare time on my hands as I look for new employment). Anyway just wondered if anyone on here had actually built one and if so which of the numerous schematics/plans they followed. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    BL21DE3

BL21DE3, Feb 11, 2004
  4. jimmymcfarrell

I was asking about it because I saw this:

http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/gaincloneindex.html#top1

and thought about making one myself.
    Have a look at the A60 he's modded, being a bit of an A60 nutter myself, I was liking it quite a lot!
    There's loads of schematics and stuff on this site.

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 11, 2004
  5. jimmymcfarrell

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Yes, that was one of the first sites that I came across in my search. I was also quite tempted to build a Gainclone following their schematics, not least because the site supplied a fairly comprehensive list of components with their Maplin/Farnell order codes. I just thought I'd see if anyone on the forum had any advice or recommendations.

BL21DE3

BL21DE3, Feb 11, 2004
  6. jimmymcfarrell

Nuuk

Hi guys. I don't post here that often as you have to stop somewhere but I can confirm that these Gainclones really do come up with the goods.

All those designs on my site are 'real' amps, ie not just theoretical and all sound fantastic.

They are an excellent first project and I think that I can say that all the necessary information is there to help you successfully build one.

The main source for information on Gainclones/chip amps is the Chip amp part of the diyAudio forums. You will find plenty of help there if you need it.

If you are on a really tight budget, find an old or defunct amp, gut it and add the chip amp circuit like I did with the A60. If you can use the transformer (ie it has secondaries of 25 VAC or less), you should be able to do one for under 20UKP.

Nuuk, Feb 12, 2004
  7. jimmymcfarrell

What's the difference between a gainclone and other amps - what other types of amp are there? I get class A / AB etc, is it anything to do with this? If gainclone = one chip per channel - erm I dont see any chips in the A60!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2004
    jimmymcfarrell, Feb 13, 2004
  8. jimmymcfarrell

Nuuk

The Gainclones/chip amps have most of the circuitry on a chip rather than using discrete components.

The A60 is a discrete design but when I had a non-working A60, I removed the discrete circuitry and replaced it with a pair of chips. Full story atHERE.

Nuuk, Feb 13, 2004
Ask a Question