Gas shut off valves

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Oct 8, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am trying to remove the gas fire as the chimley needs capping and sweeping and probably rebuilding. For this reason I am going to replace the gas one with an electric one. However I can't seem to work out how to shut the gas off. I have turned the screw for the shut of valve next to the gas fire but when I did this it just leaked out gas all over the place andt the screw appeared to come out. I have I done somthing wrong or is the valve fualty?

Also does anybody have any idea how much a gasman would charge just to cut off the supply to the fire?

amazingtrade, Oct 8, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

any other gas appliances in the house? if not turn it off at the meter and take the handle off.not realy up on gas fitting,modern fittings i think are a baynet self sealing unit, older stuff i think needs capping off. id say get someone to do the work but make that there corgi registered.

themadhippy, Oct 8, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I think thats what we will have to do, yep we have a gas cooker and gas boiler as well.

I just hope I can get somebody to do it as its probably only a 5 minute job.

amazingtrade, Oct 8, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

AT - careful when messing around with gas appliances. Unless you really know what you're doing I suggest you get a professional in. If you call British Gas I think they'll recommend someone who isn't a cowboy and (hopefully) won't charge you and arm and a leg allthough the standard callout fee (in London anyway) is about £45 so it won't be less than that.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 8, 2003
Ask a Question