GF driving a car without an MOT and dodgy brakes and suspension

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 8, 2007.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

She can't afford to get her MOT done so she is just driving the car without. Her front passanger side wishbone and coil is severly damaged making a massivde clonk everytime she turns left and rear rear drums make a massive racket, every time she brakes the car swerves. The car is a death trap, I am worried about her and I am worried about PC Plod may do if they find out.

I have offered to lend her money for the MOT but she won't take it:(

I am annoyed with her for taking so many risks but she dosn't seem to understand the dangers.

amazingtrade, Mar 8, 2007
  2. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

She needs to talk to Garyi. I'm sure he could talk some sense in to her!

Tenson, Mar 8, 2007
  3. amazingtrade

Andy registered grazer

If she's not listening to you maybe she'll listen to her family??.
    If there's no telling her,all you can do is leave her to her own devices and hope she doesn't get hurt or hurt someone else. Or take her keys off her.

Andy, Mar 8, 2007
  4. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

I couldn't give a toss what the idiot does to herself but she deserves a long prison sentence if her stupidity causes injury to anyone else.

Bob McC, Mar 8, 2007
  5. amazingtrade

Andy registered grazer

:D

Andy, Mar 8, 2007
  6. amazingtrade

She just dosn't get the implications. I've tried my best but I have a horrible feeling this is a case of she will learn the hard way.

She is going to get it sorted at Easter so only a few weeks but something maty happen before then :(

amazingtrade, Mar 9, 2007
  7. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Thats a good point, does she live with her family? Or housemates? Talk to them, maybe they can get through to her. Just let them know you are concerned for her and ask what they think and if they could do anything. Couldn’t she just not drive for a few weeks?

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  8. amazingtrade

Reckons she can't afford but won't take a penny of me, her family know and don't seem to care, they are two busy paying £3k a year insurance for their younger son to drive some chavved up Honda.

9. amazingtrade

Andy registered grazer

Is your car still playing up AT? You could let her make use of it if your that concerned, so long as you trust her with it and can live without it for a few weeks.

Andy, Mar 9, 2007
  10. amazingtrade

Her family don't know she [Edit I exist :p:] exists, nor does mine :p:Did think of it though, anyway my dad seems is now using my car as his own until he sorts out the MOT on his car (been SWORN for the past 7 months).

Done about 200 miles since the trouble, much of the problems seems to have been caused by the oil not reaching the correct temperature. Just need to get a new thermostat (£6) as I am suspecting the engine is running a little too cool at the moment. Most ever was 50 miles in one day and it didn't seem to mind it one bit.

The smoke is also fading now :)

PS I asked her the last time she checked the oil, she said never :p:. I check mine weekly as well as the brake fluid, anti freeze, washer, trye preasures and lights. This is the same car I had to fix at the road side when her throttle body came loose.

If I didn't bother checking these things I would be driving round with one one brake light, no reverse light and a dodgy trye.

11. amazingtrade

JCL

Sounds like a car with a lot of character !

JCL, Mar 9, 2007
  12. amazingtrade

She was robbed basicaly, £1600, no service history, no master keys and it idles like mad. I suspect she damaged the suspension though, she drives too fast over bumps, I had to scream at her to slow down when she went over on at 40 once:)

13. amazingtrade

Hex Spurt

Just let your GF know that if she gets caught driving without an MOT she could face a fine of up to £1000.

On top of that she may also find her car is not insured without a valid MOT.

Driving without insurance is a criminal offence. She could face a fixed penalty of £200 + 6 points, or possibly a fine of up to £5000 if she's involved in an accident. The Police also have the right to seize the vehicle.

Finally, if she was involved in an accident then whoever was the other driver could pursue a claim against her personally for damages.

It all makes getting a car through its MOT look cheap by comparison.

Hex Spurt, Mar 9, 2007
  14. amazingtrade

DavidF

probably enough has been said already.....no mot = no insurance.

bad plan before you go any further....

hope this one turns out ok

DavidF, Mar 9, 2007
  15. amazingtrade

unclepuncle

Sorry if this seems insensitive or goes against the grain - but why do we, on a hifi forum, need to know about this - does anybody really give a **** about amazingtade and his never ending troubles and woes.

Bring back Richard Dunn - at least his ramblings were capable of making me laugh:D

unclepuncle, Mar 9, 2007
  16. amazingtrade

DavidF

I think AT was just airing something that was he was concerned about, having an ask around, see what people thought.

I personally haven't got a problem with that

DavidF, Mar 9, 2007
  17. amazingtrade

Believe me my uncle is a traffic cop, I've told her all this, I also have a freind of a friend that did this, got cought and got into massive trouble because of it, he is still doing it and he is now looking a prison sentance.

The other issue is that the car is unroadworthy so this makes the fact it has no MOT even worse. I am meeting her today and I don't want to fall out over this, but I don't want her to go to prison either.

She priobably just thinks I am being a goody goody but this is not the same thing as driving a car with a dodgy brake light or doing 34 in a 30. it is probably as serious as motoring crime gets other than drink driving/hit and run and exessive speeding.

18. amazingtrade

DavidF

you might consider giing her a print out of these replies!

DavidF, Mar 9, 2007
  19. amazingtrade

But then I don't want her seeing the other thread I made a few weeks ago :p:.

I know its always hard at MOT time, my parents always really really sruggle to find money for it, but it was always a case of no MOT = no car and no job. We would never even consider driving car without an MOT unless its to the test station.

20. amazingtrade

DavidF

Does that matter? (valentines etc i presume?)

she might well find it amusing....

in any case it might be the lesser of the evils....I thnk you are right to be concerned.

DavidF, Mar 9, 2007
Ask a Question