Glasse CD lathe Sound mprover - anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Sep 22, 2006.

1. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Friend of mine lathed 3 CDs for me and I was astonished at the improved sound stage - easy listening. I am tempted to buy one - not cheap £300 plus - but wondered whether anyone else has experience of these CD tweaks. Part of me says no - this is ridiculous but I did some A/B listening today and It was very very convincing!

Cheers

btw info here!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0603/audiodesk.htm

larkrise, Sep 22, 2006
  2. larkrise

GJO

Been considering getting one myself,let me know how you get on.

GJO, Sep 22, 2006
  3. larkrise

eisenach

Yep! Tony at Coherent Systems did a disc for me. The difference wasn't subtle. He also baked it in high intensity light and then used Auric Illuminator. At each stage there was a significant difference in the sound. I'd say it was an improvement.

eisenach, Sep 22, 2006
  4. larkrise

Garmt

I am afraid the cutting will somehow be detrimental to the disc in the long run. Can someone confirm or deny this? I will be getting the Nespa Pro very shortly.

Garmt, Sep 22, 2006
  5. larkrise

oedipus

I'm making no judgement...

There are two ways of looking at this: either,

(a) This is a true step forward in recovering data from a piece of plastic, which has somehow been overlooked by the boffins at the likes of Sony and Philips (who invented CD), but this has now been discovered by someone working in (more or less) a garage.

(b) those who have "experienced the benefits" have poor experimental technique coupled with active imaginations.

oedipus, Sep 23, 2006
  6. larkrise

oedipus

There is no detrimental effect.. In fact I suggest repeated use. Keeping whittling the disc down until there is no data left on it, and then buy the same album on vinyl:)

oedipus, Sep 23, 2006
  7. larkrise

narabdela

In a nutshell.:)

narabdela, Sep 23, 2006
  8. larkrise

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

What is wrong with your people, how can shaving a CD possibly improve the sound?

Get a grip, its this kind of shit that makes us all look like numpties.

garyi, Sep 23, 2006
  9. larkrise

Get a grip?

I have ears - ears hear - disc with no lathe sounded good - same disc with CD lathe sounded considerably better, not a subtle difference either. Simple as that. I went back to unlathed discs and missed the sound quality, especially the detail and very signifiant space around the instruments.

I'd be very happy for it not to work as I would save myself (possibly) £300 and the bother of shaving a disc. However the roof was in the listening and as for the how the technology is science based, read the web site explanation.

Sorry - but these are my findings (and these were with a grip!) So. . . . thought I'd sound out (no pun intended) others who may have actually heard this - btw I repeat this - THOSE THAT HAVE ACTUALLY HEARD A LATHED DISC!

larkrise, Sep 23, 2006
  10. larkrise

Lark, if I was told that a red london bus had been found on Mars, I would dismiss it because I know its not true, I would not need to see for myself.

Put another way. With red book standards, many many years of experienced companies building CD mechs and a general understanding that for what ever reason the CD format is here to stay in one way or another. With all that evidence, why then would shaving the edge bring a benifit or improvement to sound quality?

One other question, why is it these snake oil tweaks always bring an improvement? Logic might dictate that a CD is built to a weigh and tollerence and shaving the edge of it should be detrimental to sound (If any thing)

What were the improvements?

Are you confident that if you had a duplicate CD one lathed that you could tell them apart?

Would you be happy to do this not knowing which was which?

Sorry mate, but I don't see it it smells like the biggest load of donkey do, in the same camp as freezing cables and shonmoooooook stones.

If CDs do not sound good until you lathe them, change your hifi. Simple.

garyi, Sep 23, 2006
  11. larkrise

BTW I have tried such arse tweaks as green pens and that little bit of plastic you put on a CD before sticking it in the drawer, you have to be a total mug to believe this does anything, luckily someone is always there to take your money though.

garyi, Sep 23, 2006
  12. larkrise

pixies a menace to society

rhino horns, mashed up sea horse, dodo beaks, penis enlargement pills

tried the lot.....didn't improve the sound one bit:D

pixies, Sep 23, 2006
  13. larkrise

Garmt

I use the green pen and that works a treat. The Auric Illuminator will be even better I reckon. Because of these differences, i am sure this device will work as well.

The Furutech RD-2 is also looked at scpetically, but it does work very well.

Garmt, Sep 23, 2006
  14. larkrise

I think the defining moment here was when Mrs Rat (with whom I live) was subjected to a blind test and found a big improvement) - she couldn't describe it exactly but it was always the lathed version of the track (a Ry Cooder piece) that she said sounded 'much nicer'. The test was done with CDR copies. I am similarly sceptical of snake oil etc but very regrettably this really does seem to work - sorry no, scrub 'seem' - it DOES work. What I am interested in hearing is the experience of others with this. I also think it does depend on the ability of your gear to 'deliver', though I am told that sonic improvement has been noted with this lathe thingy with pretty standard level stuff.

larkrise, Sep 23, 2006
  15. larkrise

Freezing?

Without wishing to take a wrong turn and start off another thread of snake oil theory- cryogenic (spelling?) freezing also works with certain cables.

larkrise, Sep 23, 2006
  16. larkrise

Anex Thermionic

Ahaha £300?!

Anex, Sep 23, 2006
  17. larkrise

eisenach

"I know it's not true ..." Really? Not in the universe as we understand it, I agree, but then if we had always stopped and been content with what we knew and understood, the earth would still be flat and the sun would go round the earth. If someone told me a red London bus had been found on Mars, I would want to see it!

eisenach, Sep 23, 2006
  18. larkrise

Why do I have this itsy bitsy feeling that some board members do not believe me when I say I heard a big difference . . . . sigh?

larkrise, Sep 23, 2006
  19. larkrise

GJO

GJO, Sep 23, 2006
  20. larkrise

titian

I believe you, I'm going to order one. :D

titian, Sep 23, 2006
Ask a Question