Goldberg/harpsichord (briefly)

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Coda II, May 1, 2006.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Sunday's R3 early music show featured Richard Egarr in a basic guide to the harpsichord which I found very informative. The excerpts from the Goldbergs were the first time I have started to get what people here often say about the instrument - following the various lines being so much easier etc.
    The program is well worth a listen on-line and there is also an essay on the variations here: harmonia mundi

Coda II, May 1, 2006
  2. Coda II

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Thanks. I'm sure also those of us living on foreign shores appreciate links like that. For something completely modern OTOH I offer you http://sigtronica.org, which is also available as a weekly broadcast from iTunes.

SteveC, May 1, 2006
  3. Coda II

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Very interesting link, thank you.

Rodrigo de Sá, May 3, 2006
  4. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Glad you both liked it.
    Given my (very) limited experience of Bach on the harpsichord (Gilbert WTC and Kirkpatrick English suites is about it) where would you say Egarr fits in terms of approach and type of sound he produces? I found him very easy to listen to but haven't worked out why.

Sigtronica does sound interesting - unfortunately my listening came in five second chunks between 'buffering' - which kind of ruined the effect so I didn't get very far!

Coda II, May 4, 2006
Ask a Question