Gorecki (not just Classic FM)

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Coda II, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

There is a proms thread already, but thought this could do with separate billing. The work that seems to cross most divides; so if you only see/hear one prom then make it number 54, 10pm 24th August details: here

Coda II, Jul 22, 2005
  2. Coda II

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Gorecki's third - makes a huge impression the first time you hear it, like being overwhelmed by grief. But I found it was diminishing returns after that in my case. I haven't listened to it for many years, may gave it a spin again to see if I am open to it again.

alanbeeb, Jul 25, 2005
  3. Coda II

tones compulsive cantater

4. Coda II

NickM

I rather like Totus Tuus:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/2234018/rk/classic/rsk/hitlist

...even if I do find the excessively overt Catholic religiosity of this and most of Gorecki's recorded output rather oppressive. My recording of this, by the Prague Philharmonic choir under John Nelson on Argo, has been deleted. I do wonder whether Gorecki's music is best heard performed by his fellow Poles (or their near neighbours, maybe).

NickM, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Coda II

PeteH Natural Blue

I'd more-or-less agree with alanbeeb here - my reaction to it was something like my reaction to good pop music, ie. very enjoyable and impressive for a few listens, but not the kind of music one lives with for years.

I must confess I don't know any other Gorecki, though I see in the Guinness Classical 1000 that Rob Cowan raves about the Kleines Requiem fur eine Polka (please excuse the lack of accents and things BTW :) ), and I've seen decent reviews of various other bits and pieces too.

PeteH, Jul 25, 2005
Ask a Question