Guitar concertos (or, why I hate Swiss Radio even more)

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by tones, Apr 23, 2005.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

The so'n'sos did it to me again. There I was, harmlessly on my way to town, and on came this absolutely gorgeous rendition ot the slow movement of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, the most beautiful I think I've ever heard. It came from this:

[​IMG]

and I bought it. OK, this isn't earth-shaking music, but it is very pleasant listening, and Sharon Isbin is a marvellous guitarist with what appears to my ears to be a nearly flawless technique - very few scrapings on the strings, the most rapid runs having all the notes like a string of pearls. It won't replace Bach cantatas in my affections any time soon, but it's enjoyable and beautifully executed. (It is apparently the first time that the NY Phil has ever recorded with a guitarist, and it follows on from a sensationally successful concert pairing).

tones, Apr 23, 2005
  2. tones

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

What are the Villa Lobos and Ponce concerti like? I have never heard these pieces, so this might be on my want list.

alanbeeb, Apr 24, 2005
  3. tones

lordsummit moderate mod

The dress isn't bad either!

lordsummit, Apr 24, 2005
  4. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Pleasant enough listening, Alan, but the Rodrigo is the pick of the bunch, especially the gorgeous slow movement.

tones, Apr 24, 2005
  5. tones

pe-zulu

You are right. I still remember hearing the late Segovia play it at a concert in Copenhagen many years ago.

pe-zulu, Apr 24, 2005
Ask a Question