Hafler XL-600 Power amp

Wanted: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by timpy, Jul 14, 2003.

1. timpy

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Must be the XL-600 as opposed to the much more common DH's.

Thanks

timpy, Jul 14, 2003
  2. timpy

osama Perenially Bored

Hi there timpy. I just wanted to ask; are hafler power amps better than some of the current ones? I saw one for sale, the XL 280, that goes something like £200 only. How would you compare haflers with the recent power amps?

hope you find time to answer this.

thanks and best regards

osama, Jul 20, 2003
  3. timpy

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Hi osama

The honest truth is I just don't know. I know the XL-600 (a bit), which looks nothing like a XL-280 from what I've seen. The XL-600 is like rocking horse doings over here, and rare in it's native USA as well, and seems to have a bit of a cult following even. They're quite old, but there are places in the states that advertise upgrades for them for $1250 (USD)!! The XL-280 is still a powerful amp, and at 200 quid probably worth a punt if it has any of the qualities of the 600. The XL-600 is a monster :D:D:D:D

As for the sound quality compared with more modern ones, I don't know. I liked the XL-600 as it had drive in spades and could do sutble as well. That was with a Hafler pre, DH110 I think.

Careful when buying them s/h though, many of the models (not all) were sold in kit form as well as pre assembled. They don't look difficult to build though and therefore shouldn't be difficult to repair. Some of the cases and periferals are hard to get hold of, like the alloy box for the 600 with it's extruded heatsinking and integrated fan assembly thingy. They have a site and a forum, and seem helpful.

http://www.hafler.com/home/

Cheers

timpy, Jul 20, 2003
  4. timpy

osama Perenially Bored

Thanks very much timpy for that useful information.:) I'm having a bit of a bad case of hi-fi nostalgia.:( I bought a new QUAD 306 power amp and was mighty impressed with it.This is what I'm using now. It's quite an old model already for what I gathered but somehow this experience with the QUAD gave me an idea that the olds are still gold ;). So when I saw the XL 280 ad and read your WTB post, I thought I'll ask you a question or two.

I'll visit the site you gave.

thanks a lot again.

best regards :)

osama, Jul 20, 2003
Ask a Question