Has anyone got the latest UNKLE vinyl lp,....

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Goomer, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Goomer

Goomer

...specifically the set of picture discs?

I know that picture discs are not renowned for the sound quality but I got one for Christmas and it's possibly the worst pressing I've ever seen - all three discs are badly warped, two of them have visible pressing defects which have left lumps of vinyl on both sides(causing an olympic winning leap, not a jump), and the third has a visible and audible scratch from the centre hole to the outer edge. And this is from a sealed album!!

Before I go down the endless route of exchanging/returning/exchanging at my local HMV, can anyone advise if they have a decent(ish) pressing of this, or should I give up now and get something else instead?

Cheers...

(an unusually annoyed :mad: ) Goomer

Goomer, Dec 31, 2003
  2. Goomer

Goomer

Just a quick follow up to this.

I returned to my local HMV to sort this out - they had only one other copy in stock and it was as bad if not worse than the first one(boo....) so ended up getting a refund instead. Thought this might be of use to anyone considering a purchase, especially via mail order where things are often more difficult to return.

Happy new year everybody!

:)

Goomer, Jan 2, 2004
  3. Goomer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Are you talking about "Never Never Land"?

I've got this on CD somewhere but it seems to have disapeared after only one listen :confused: Will need to dig it out to give it a proper listen again. At the same time as getting it I also got quite a bit of other UNKLE stuff so am not too sure what's on what album.

Assuming you've managed to listen to it properly yet, how do you rate it? I liked Psyence Fiction, (have a copy signed by Shadow, Lavelle, and Futura from the launch event thingy :D ). It was hyped up far too much. and seemed to be an anti climax in the music press's view. There's some great tracks on it though and it's nice and diverse too.

I've also got a couple of Unkle Sounds albums. "Big Brother Is Watching You" (2CD), and "Do Androids Dream Of Electronic Beats" (3CD).

MO!, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Goomer

Goomer

Yep, that's the one.

Never had a proper chance as the damn thing kept skipping. I haven't replaced it yet but if I do(I'm awaiting a response from MO Wax re the quality control before I do) I'll let you know what I think.

I came to UNKLE from the DJ Shadow direction and whilst I really like the Psyence Fiction album, it was never in the same league as his solo stuff or some of his other collaborations(Quannum, w The Cut Chemist, for example) IMHO. More of a curiosity/completist thing, although I was really looking forward to hearing the track with Josh Homme on my home system. What are the Unkle Sounds albums like?

Goomer, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Goomer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Seems my brother's left Never Never Land round a friends house :rolleyes:

Like I said, I only managed to listen to it once, I wasn't as impressed as with Psyence Fiction, but that may have changed with MOre listens.
    I'd agree with you on Psyence Fiction not being as good as Shadows solo stuff of the time. But then, very little comes close to Endtroducing.

And as far as I'm aware, Shadow had nothing to do with Never Never Land.

As for the Unkle Sounds stuff. Both are pretty similar.

"Big Brother Is Watching You" sounds like it's basicaly a radio mix. You hear a sound clip a couple of times through it "The Essential" so I assume it's took from Radio 1's Essential Mix.
    The 2cds are both diverse chucking a bit of everything into the mix. With the first CD seeming the MOre cut n paste/ random of the two, with the second having a bit MOre of a techno, club feel to it.
    There's some of their own stuff on there, some stuff you'd never have expected, and even a crap, make that VERY CRAP version of the Star Wars theme on there too. All works quite well though really :D
    Just been looking for an AMAZON LINK and it says on thre that it is indeed from Radio 1s essential mix. And also, how could I have forgot "8. Who We Be/Shout - DMX/Tears For Fears" One of the stand out MOments!!!

There's some nasty pops clicks and other vinylesque distorions though.

Just done an amazon search for "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Beats" And it mentions there's only 500 official copies of this so it may be quite hard to get hold of. AMAZON LINK

3CDs Tai, Gi, and Shin. Some of the stuff on the Big Brother CDs also appears here. take a look at the track listings on the amazon links to see what I mean by diverse! Easy to get them mixed up, but from what I recall, this is the better of the mixes. And 3cds of it too :D

MO!, Jan 8, 2004
Ask a Question