Has anyone heard/any opinions on Sonus Faber Musica amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, May 12, 2007.

1. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Would be interested to hear whether anyone has experience of this amp - it's integrated. Have heard very interesting stories of its ability to partner the Sonus Faber speakers. . . .

larkrise, May 12, 2007
  2. larkrise

Have researched and found a few reviews - not surprised no replies here it is rather obscure! Apparantley it's rather good but no use at all for Extremas - got this straight from Sonus Faber- however very worth while trying for some of the other SF speakers.

larkrise, May 15, 2007
  3. larkrise

Effem Cable manufacturer

A friend of mine had the SF Musica amp and the one criticism he did have of it is the lack of perceived power, although to my hearing it sounded good until it was cranked up to high volumes - not unlike a good few well respected amps I know.

Effem, May 16, 2007
  4. larkrise

Hi there Frank - I owe you an e mail with news - do forgive lapse, wanted to put some effort into it! Shall be in touch - Laurence

larkrise, May 16, 2007
  5. larkrise

AlexTaylor

I thought that SF voiced their speakers using the amp. Not tried the website, is it still as stunningly informative as it used to be?

AlexTaylor, May 16, 2007
  6. larkrise

AlexTaylor

Aah, a much better effort than the arty but utterly useless website of a couple of years ago! That was just all swirly hand drawn pictures, waffle about wood and sh#t and not a lot else...

AlexTaylor, May 16, 2007
  7. larkrise

banpe2006

music matters in b'ham had one on display at a good price as i remember....an ex dem model....wood and gold knobs I think.

banpe2006, May 16, 2007
  8. larkrise

JackOTrades

Tried the musica a long time ago (years back) and it was no match for other amps like the Krell. A bit on the slow side and did not do the speakers justice.

The dealers agree that although it is a good amp, within its parameters, it is not the best match for SF speakers, known for being current and power hungry, something the Musica cannot provide.

I did not try it with Extremas (I would love to hear them btw as I am thinking of moving to a pair of Cremona floorstanders or perhaps even the Guarneri) but I would not think it will survive them... :)

My two cents,
    Jack

JackOTrades, May 17, 2007
  9. larkrise

PFM20532

Musica

Its an uninteresting amplifier which is no way near the performance of some of their speakers.
    Stay clear

PFM20532, May 17, 2007
  10. larkrise

anubisgrau

larkrise, i hope you are the one who bought accuphase 1000 power amp from the ads. i guess it might be one of the very few things worth of splashing for extremas.

anubisgrau, May 17, 2007
  11. larkrise

Hi - yes I have stayed clear of the Musica - looks nice though but so does Martha (see Avatar) but she's no good with music.

You're right Jack - but

I have the solution - it was a suggestion from a member and having done my hwk I know now precisely what amp to go for with the Extremas, collecting it Sunday and wasn't too easy to track one down. No Gordan - wasn't me who bought the accupahase.

larkrise, May 18, 2007
  12. larkrise

JackOTrades

Pray, do tell!! What is the solution? :)

jack

JackOTrades, May 19, 2007
  13. larkrise

Solution was an older Krell! The Extremas were tuned to the older Krell amps and as suggested elsewhere in a thread to my question about partnering Extremas a KSA250 now installed sounds great - smoother sound less grainy than the later amps and a lot less money too.

larkrise, May 20, 2007
Ask a Question