Hello from Newbie

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by skp574, Dec 7, 2003.

1. skp574

skp574

Newbie just joined!

I have just come over from Cyrusunofficial.co.uk.

Just thought I'd say hello to you all.

I have just demo'd a Krell KAV-400xi and Audio Research CD3MKII setup and was totally blown away. Needless to say I bought them!

My system will be available to see (soon) at my site . If anyone would like to comment on my setup I am all ears!

P.S. Now that I have moved up, I am looking for a decent headphone amp. Would anyone like to suggest a shortlist?

P.P.S. If anyone else is also here from Cyrusunofficial please let me know, it's good to see a friendly face.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2003
    skp574, Dec 7, 2003
  2. skp574

Robbo

Hi skp574,

Welcome to the forum. How did you find the Audio Research player? It is on my list of possibles at the moment and so I would be interested to hear other users opinions.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Dec 7, 2003
  3. skp574

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Hello.

I DID post over on cyrus for about 10 posts. That was when I was deciding whether or not to keep the ex dem cyrus 7. In the end I sent it back.

Enjoy the new system.

davidcotton, Dec 7, 2003
  4. skp574

smileandnod

Hi skp574

There's a few of us from Cyrus unofficial here.
    Much more likely to get balanced views about other kit here :D

Ian.

smileandnod, Dec 7, 2003
  5. skp574

skp574

I auditioned three players. The Krell KAV-280cd, the Audionet ART v2 and the AR CD3MKII.

The Krell was the bottom of the pile IMO.

The Audionet and AR were very similar but the AR just sounded so live and warm without being too soft. All instruments were accurately reproduced and imaging was top notch. For me, it all boiled down to the price difference. The AR is more than twice the price of the Audionet. If I have gone with the Audionet I am sure I would be kicking myself in several months time, so the AR it was.

Both players are extremely well built and top loaders. I found that with the AR if you open the cover during playback is stops the disc immediately, this is the same when it reaches the end of the disc or pressing stop BTW. The Audionet carried on spinning. A small but nice touch I thought. And the AR has balanced outputs too which the Audionet does not.

skp574, Dec 7, 2003
  6. skp574

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Whoo err...., thats not good :eek: , which amp did you audition them on Skp?, as the V2 seems to be able to invoke nail driving abilities on just about most stuff I've heard it with, the CD3 is a good player without question, effortless music listening, totaly unfatiging and musical, it has much warmer & inviting sound than the V2, which can under certain tracks recrate a 'naim sound' without too much difficulty (forward & relentless), although detailed and more life I feel, the CD3 is a much more rounded player, and does just do so much right :)
    Should be a good match with the 400 (never heard one, but a lot of people 'who' would know a good amp for a bad, seem to enjoy it a lot).
    What speakers are using them with, I know our beloved leader is considering a 400 Krell, so any insights you could give, would be appriecated I feel. Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 7, 2003
  7. skp574

Sgt Rock

Hi Scott :D

Sgt Rock, Dec 7, 2003
  8. skp574

michaelab desafinado

:D he has B&W 805 sigs (mentioned in a different thread). I'm going to have the Krell at home for a dem on Wednesday night, already heard it in the shop and was very impressed.

In the shop it was driving a pair of SF Grand Piano's :SLEEP: and to start off the source was a Copland 822 :SLEEP: :SLEEP: but it still managed to bring some life to the party :MILD:

Later we switched to a CEC TL-51 X belt drive, top loading CD player which, surprisingly, is a little bit cheaper than the Copand but boy did it have some get up and go :banana: I'd never heard one before but it was impressive. Then the whole system sounded a whole lot more lively but those SFs have such a slow bass :(

The 400xi is supposed to have none of the "nail driving" abilities that Krell (and particular the earlier 300i) are known for so we'll see how it fares with my Dynaudio 1.3MkIIs (not known for their softness) and my Chord DAC64 which some people here :D seem to think is hard...

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 7, 2003
  9. skp574

Mike, the 1.3's are soft, compared to the 1.1's and are most un dyn like :) still you could always put the V2 with 64, and i'll be your contract manager for pile driver hire :D
    the last 300Il Krell wasn't hard at all, it just had sleep inducing qualities :( Wm

10. skp574

Robbo

Should match well with the dac64 then:) the slightly upfront dac 64 should counterbalance the slightly laid back krell

Robbo, Dec 7, 2003
  11. skp574

mick parry stroppy old git

Be a man

Buy some Naim

mick parry, Dec 7, 2003
  12. skp574

Robbo

Who? Michaleab or skp574?

Robbo, Dec 7, 2003
  13. skp574

All of them

mick parry, Dec 7, 2003
  14. skp574

Robbo

Mick,

Maybe you could take pity on us and offer us you cast off equipment at a much reduced price so that us lowly peasants can get a chance to experience the wondrous world of Naim

Robbo, Dec 7, 2003
  15. skp574

:D Snigger arh but Mick's mate Paul D, does give special sailsbury consessions to 'approved promoters' ;) & surporters of the cause, so I hear along the PRaTgrapevine. (sorry PRaT less grapevine now, with the world crass audio gear)

16. skp574

Robbo

World crass?

About sums it up Tone:D

Robbo, Dec 7, 2003
  17. skp574

Its easy actually

Just save up and buy it.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 7, 2003
  18. skp574

penance Arrogant Cock

Re: Its easy actually

maybe easy for you;)

penance, Dec 7, 2003
  19. skp574

Mick, lets take the pinnicle of CD development at Sailsbury a cds3 + xps2 to power it £7200 approx, just think for £2400 you can have a Meridain G08 and the money you save can go to wards another 'Crass fountain pen' half a blunerbuss, some Tastefull wall paper or another 6 weeks ablasting Rhinos' seems a bit of a no brainer to me mate.
    Btw your right, we do need to come for another listen sir, and show me how good this TT of your is now. T.

20. skp574

Ya-Boo

Been here for a while now, been watching the naim bashers
    cross swords with the naimbies..........what is this all about?

I,ve been interested,and owned lotsa stuff ,no naim admitedly
    but only ever come across this naims shit, oh no its not.....ohh yes it is thing on this forum in particular......why...?

is it more personalilty clash amoung poster's rather than a hifi thing?

what's polarises views into such for naim or against naim camps

Ya-Boo, Dec 7, 2003
Ask a Question