Help Needed

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by andrewstent, Jan 21, 2006.

1. andrewstent

andrewstent

Hi,
    I have a slight problem with my hifi system and wonder if anyone can help.

I have a Musical Fidelity HTP AV processor with th HT600 5 channel power amp and MF DVD1 player, when the system is all connected and turned on I have and earth hum.

The DVD is connected to the TV by scart and connected to the amp by digital coax, there is also a telewest box which is connected to the TV by scart and to the processor via optical cable. the processor is connected to the power amp by five phono leads.

If I unplug the DVD player the hum goes so I have now disconnected the earth lead to the DVD player and this also stops the hum, hovever when I disconected the digital coax cable the other day gave myself a slight electrical shock !!

Any ideas to a proper soloution ?

Cheers,

Andrew

andrewstent, Jan 21, 2006
  2. andrewstent

zanash

These can be difficult to sort, but it seem the cable boxes sometimes cause this along with the tv ....perhaps someone with more expertise can provide the answer?

zanash, Jan 21, 2006
  3. andrewstent

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

This is a highly unsafe practice.

You have a ground/earth loop probably from the TV/Aerial and/or Cable box. Use and optical connection to the AV Receiver and the problem will go away.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 21, 2006
Ask a Question