HELP: Problems setting up Lyra Helikon

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jonjin, Jan 7, 2006.

1. jonjin

jonjin

Hi,

This Helikon is a bugger to set-up! I'm using it on a VPI Scoutmaster... easy enough to set-up but bloody difficult to get almost perfect. My problem is it doesn't even track the 2nd bias-setting track of the HFNRR?!! I've tried everything, including re-aligning the cart, setting VTA etc... Maybe the HFNRR is over-rated?!

Any help appreciated.

JJ

jonjin, Jan 7, 2006
  2. jonjin

joel Shaman of Signals

Shouldn't be difficult. Ask on PFM, you may get an informed response.

joel, Jan 8, 2006
  3. jonjin

Antony

I had a nightmare setting up my Lyra Evolve 99. Bought it brand new and had to send it back for a rebuild! Maybe their QC aint brilliant?

Antony, Jan 8, 2006
  4. jonjin

Stereo Mic

JJ,

have you tried adjusting the anti skate?

Stereo Mic, Jan 8, 2006
  5. jonjin

jonjin

Yup... been agonising with the anti-skate on the VPI the whole of yesterday. It's adjusted by means of twisting a wire! How inaccurate is that?! Anyways, only managed to get it to track the 2nd Bias track but not the 3rd or torture-track.

JJ

jonjin, Jan 8, 2006
  6. jonjin

zanash

What aliggment regime are you using ....there are two or three, depending on which you choose and which the cart maker used could be part of the problem. The best I used was the elite protractor, where you plot distortion across the disc. this always gave great results with any cart I used.

zanash, Jan 8, 2006
  7. jonjin

Stereo Mic

JJ I had a similar issue with the Scout but after spending a while getting to grips with the wire curling, everything came good. But I screwed it up loads of times before that!

Stereo Mic, Jan 8, 2006
  8. jonjin

jonjin

Aarrrgggghhh... this is frustrating, the anti-skate I mean. How much anti-skate (or untwists) are you suppose to put anyways? I find you cannot untwist it too much.

And I am using the supplied VPI protracter alignment. Checked it against the 2 point method supplied with HFNRR and it was also OK.

Thanking you...

JJ

jonjin, Jan 8, 2006
  9. jonjin

Stereo Mic

I can't remember for the life of me JJ but you need to work out which way to twist the connector to apply force in the right direction, then keep going a turn at a time. If that is untwisting, then you need to keep going until it twists again in the opposite direction.

Stereo Mic, Jan 8, 2006
  10. jonjin

adam

The VPI scoutmaster is a PITA to set up at first,it takes a bit of practice,and good nerves and paitience.Be VERY careful with the lemo connector,it's fragile,if additional anti-skate is required,disconnect the lemo and turn the wire once uncoiling the twist,360degrees,don't over do it!!!.

Also the JMW9 doesn't have enough mass on the front of the arm,add a little extra weight on the front of the cart,or they sell a little weight $15 aswell.it's a funny arm to get used too,but once done it's fairly easy.

adam, Jan 8, 2006
Ask a Question