Hi Fi (at least half decent) system for < £100?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robs, May 8, 2004.

1. robs

robs

Hmmm.....from the 'What was your first system' thread, seems a 505 + 3020 was fairly influential to a lot of us!!! No wonder they still sell for more than a few pennies! Who would go back if they had to?
    ...i.e you're deep in it & you've got £100 for your COMPLETE sound system..what would you get?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2004
    robs, May 8, 2004
  2. robs

muffinman

pretty difficult to make a system. if i was just in it for me and not trying to impress anyone i would get the best cd walkman i could find for £35 and a pair of ex dem senn hd 590's (richers had a pair for £65). i had this 'set up' in digs and it works very well.

muffinman, May 8, 2004
  3. robs

hifikrazy

For that you could get an OK system ;) A decent (well better than you might think) cd player can be had for 20-25 if you wait for a bargain and know what to look for. Same for an amp. And 50 or so quid will buy you a nice pair of speakers. Saw some previously very expensive speakers from the 80s go for 50 quid quite recently (should have got them really - wouldnt go down well with the GF tho).

hifikrazy, May 8, 2004
  4. robs

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

You can easily get a half decent system for less than £100

Buy a nice 1970's amp, you can get a good example for £20 and they will make mince meet of a £100 modern one. My sister as a 1970's Pioneer amp that sounds extremely good.

Buy cheap CD player from Richersounds, they do sound better than portables in my experience.

Then just go and get some cheap £40 Kef Cresta 1 (if they still make them) from richers or some second hand things.

My sister has a £50 Cambridge Audio CD32 CD player, it sounds nice and smooth and will play MP3 files. It does however lack a bit of detail.

amazingtrade, May 8, 2004
  5. robs

Mart Smog Dodger

I saw an ad in the local paper a couple of months back, then grabbed the phone, babbled a bit and dashed out in the car, with mucho bemused looks from the now ex girlfriend.

The ad was for a denon pma 250 amp, denon drm 540 cassette deck, denon tu 260l, a marantz cd65 mkII se and a pair of tannnoy 631 se's.

He wanted £150 for it all and accepted a ton.

Methinks you can be lucky sometimes.:D

Mart, May 8, 2004
  6. robs

Gromit Buffet-blower

Hand>bitten off.

Nice one :)

Gromit, May 8, 2004
Ask a Question