Hifi World, valve edition !

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Oct 18, 2003.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

If you havent picked up a copy of hifi world in more than the last few months, get yae to WH smiths!

This mag seems to be making real improvements month by month. I dont know if the recent change of editor is the deciding factor, or something else...

BUT!
    the magazine has become broader and more in depth, more reviews - those age old reccomended columns have finally been brought up to date. Check the mag out, its always been a favorite, but used to be a bit thin on material content - I think thats changing.

This month is an issue dedicated to valve kit, and Im in 7th heaven. One particular article that I really liked was hearing from industry leaders like Ken Ishiwata, Mr MF (cant be bothered to look his name up) and others....

My favorite quote was from Mr Ishiwata - basically saying 'there is no such thing as a valve sound - the sound of an amplifier depends on its topology and design'

Also great to see a review of the Graaf GM20. Ive been beating the drum about this amp and the bigger GM100 for years now, but it seems to have had little magazine exposure.

The only question Ive got for the magazine (dont think I'll get an answer on here though) - is why are they reviewing kit thats been around for years? - I wonder if they dont have the editorial stance of just reviewing NEW equipment, and will review in a group format both new and old products??

If you've read this months - what did you think?

Anyway, if youre interested at all in valves, this months mag is great ! :D

Chris

bottleneck, Oct 18, 2003
  2. bottleneck

Robbo

I believe they gave the new audio research integrated amp a nice review as well :cool:

I used to be a subscriber to this mag years ago, but gave up due to the fact that it became rather content light. Glad they seem to be moving back in the right direction.

Robbo, Oct 18, 2003
  3. bottleneck

merlin

Haven't seen the article (HiFi World always struck me as something to subscribe to once one hits the big 50), but I am interested in the GM20.

Also fascinating that out of a selection of valve amps, they seem to be singing the praises of an OTL, the ones of which I have heard sounded less like one's stereotypical views of valve nirvana than anything else. Very fast open and transparent with great clarity but very little evidence of that fabled warmth. In other words, like very good solid state designs! Is that how the Graaf sounds? I've heard the Berning Z270 but that's a bit special!

merlin, Oct 18, 2003
  4. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

I particularly liked the article giving the lowdown on some of the more common types of valve. Interesting stuff :cool:

Still - I don't see any reasonably priced valve amp driving my Dynaudios (86dB 4ohms) and I'm not about to change my speakers so no valve amps under consideration for me for the forseeable future :(

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 18, 2003
  5. bottleneck

Robbo

Michael,

My 1SCs are 86 db and the 45w/ch AR CA50 goes plenty loud enough. As long as you use a 4 ohm tap on the valve amp outputs there should be no problems.

Robbo

Robbo, Oct 18, 2003
  6. bottleneck

Lt Cdr Data om

there was a graaf gm200 as well check it out on google...its a beast...

I think it is the editor...he is a decent guy....I emailed him and got a nice reply.....the mag had a really barren phase where the editors didn't really seem to care and it showed in the content....dreary and no direction....but yes much improved...he is youngish...a vinyl and valve person.....mags back where it belongs...:)

Lt Cdr Data, Oct 19, 2003
  7. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I think you'd love it merlin. I know I do. Only downsides to it is that the GM20 is 20w p/ch (sounds like a lot more though - and it can be bridged to mono (65w p/ch I think) and theres the bigger ones)... and the distortion fogures - quoted at 2%.

Hearing it though, its just so open and transparent... Im not sure if that makes it nearer to solid state, or more like a SET amp - I dont know, I do know its GOOD though ! :D

NB
    Anyone think the industry is moving to more unipivot tonearms because of all the high mass/suspensionless turntables around at the moment? - Everytime I blink there seems to be a new unipivot out.

bottleneck, Oct 19, 2003
  8. bottleneck

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

LiloLee, Oct 19, 2003
  9. bottleneck

sideshowbob Trisha

Good thing too. I like unipivots. Even on my suspended deck (not so good after some drink has been taken, however).

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 19, 2003
  10. bottleneck

Sid and Coke

Have to say I agree with you Chris.
    I was in two minds wether to renew my subscription until a couple of months ago. The change of editor seems to have injected a nice bit of new life into the old dog. it's always been my fave anyway with such a broad spread of ideas including a decent DIY supplement. Back in the early nineties they where still championing vinyl long after many other folks had dismissed it as old hat. In fact i actually thought that Valve amps where just curious old antiques until i strated to read that mag. I still haven't gotten round to buying my first one yet, but live in hope.

Sid and Coke, Oct 20, 2003
  11. bottleneck

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Hey Micheal,

There's no need to change your speakers. Have you tried any valve amps with your 86dB Dyns and if so which? If you haven't tried any then could I suggest you start with the relatively affordable 25 watt p/c Graaf Venticinque integrated? There's 25 watts and there's 25 watts so much so that this amp might just change your perceptions.:D

The Graaf Ventinque also has an optional power amp which also pushes out a further 25 watts p/c. If you manage to do the audition with just the integrated on it's own, please post your experiences of that amp with the Dyns here on the forum. See it here: http://www.graaf.it/25INTENG.HTM

Merlin - FWIW, the Graaf GM20 is a superb amp. Get the monos and you'll be one happy camper. My next amplifiers perhaps? :D

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie:D

Lawrie, Oct 20, 2003
  12. bottleneck

Robbo

Micheal,

Next time you are over in the UK, why not come over to mine for a listen to see how loud 86 db speakers can go with 45w of valve power.

Robbo

Robbo, Oct 20, 2003
  13. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

TBH I haven't tried a valve amp with my Dyns yet but Dyns (the Contour 1.3MkIIs I have in particular) have a reputation for being very hard to drive but I'm prepared to be shown what a valve amp can do :)

Robbo - might take you up on that offer. I'm in London this week and next but will be pretty busy. I'll let you know. Which model is your Audio Research btw and how much was it?

Incidentally, an amp upgrade is not just around the corner ;) I just feel it's perhaps the weakest link in my system ATM so am starting to think of alternatives but this time (as opposed to the digital source upgrade I did recently) I definitely will be taking time to audition a lot of stuff - I'm in no hurry :D

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 20, 2003
  14. bottleneck

Robbo

Micheal,

You are welcome over anytime. The CA50 I have was £3500 new, but it has now been discontinued and replaced with the VSi55 which is £2800 new. The new model is being pitched at a more budget level and they have skimped on the battleship build quality of the CA50 to reduce the price. I think the sound is pretty much similar though.

Robbo

Robbo, Oct 20, 2003
Ask a Question