Hit the sweet spot

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Awesome, I think I've hit a sweet spot today with my system and right now, there's virtually bugger all I can complain of.

You know how it is, go to a shop, listen to a friends system, go home and think "hmmm, my system doesn't do some things so well". Well right now, sounds completely wonderful.

At the moment it's cheapy Pioneer 575 into a NOS DAC, Nac 82, Nap 200, Linn Kabers and REL Q100. Somehow in the room it's in, things have simply jelled and listening to a couple of live albums really was the closest I've got to being there.

It's very close to the natural and full range presentation of Julian's (which is brill) has close to the "thwack" of WMs (without that awful seismic sink in place), and has the bass timing of Gary's SBLs.
    With CD, I can't think of anyone's system that I've heard which I'd swap it for.

Big smiles!!!

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 17, 2005
  2. Mr_Sukebe

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

It's always good at that stage - saves a fortune in box-swapping!
    I'm currently there as well, I can't think of an improvement I could make for sensible money (though I have been toying with replacing the cable and capacitors inside my speakers - "Hi my name's Leonard and I'm a hifi-a-holic")

leonard smalls, Apr 17, 2005
  3. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

oi MIke the sink gives thwack plenty of of, you just got to know how to use it :D

wadia-miester, Apr 17, 2005
  4. Mr_Sukebe

analoguekid Planet Rush

I prefer the thwacking to be done in other rooms, but if it was the kitchen, then better thwacking done on the table, rather than the sink :)

analoguekid, Apr 17, 2005
  5. Mr_Sukebe

mr cat Member of the month

I just got some Ixos 207 spade connectors yesterday as I'm using my sub whilst connected to my Nad c350 using the speaker level input, and the phono cable connected to AV amp when watching dvds, (but both sets of cables not connected at same time, hence use of spades!).

well, when I used the spades last night, the sound simply blew me away, I played some ambient cds - like brian eno, the orb etc...I was stunned, but can it simply be the spades themselves..?? as some people say that bare cables are better...

I have found that sometimes the music doesn't always sound as what it could, this could maybe be down to the quality of the electricity, but last night, I was simply astounded...maybe I had too much wine, I don't know...

mr cat, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Mr_Sukebe

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Must have been a good day, as mine was sounding ace as well last night :) The room and a Hicap are the only two things I can do right now to improve CD (although a new Denon 160 mc cart is another thing I'll consider).

All in good time (ie after the summer :))

domfjbrown, Apr 20, 2005
  7. Mr_Sukebe

Tenson Moderator

Hmm.. the thing that surprises me is that even though I have had my current system for quite a while now, I still get blown away every time I play a bit of music. You know when you simply get stuck to that single position because you don't want to move away from the music. It happens nearly every time now! Which is bad, because if I put on a bit of music before I go out, I take a looong time to leave!

The only time I don't find it sounding as good is when I am tired, or the recording is not as good. I know which recordings do sound good, so thats alright. When I am tired I find myself thinking the system is harsh sounding, either lacking in bass or treble... or both. I think when someone says oh wow my system was sounding sooo good last night, its very likely down to the person more than the mains or anything. It must also be down to everywhere being quieter at night so you can hear more detail etc...

Maybe the forum needs new blood because so many of the members are now happy with their systems?!

Tenson, Apr 21, 2005
Ask a Question