Holst - The Planets

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by MO!, Nov 3, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi.

Picked up a copy from a charity shop, having heard it mentioned many times and being told "yea, of course you know it! It's got that one that goes..... on it"

Have just played it through and quite impressed. Mars sounds the MOst like what i'm after. I'm not sure if i'd go out and buy particular things, I've got so much other music i'm after at the MOment that I limit my Classical purchases to just picking out something that looks like it's in decent enough quality and cheap :D Any tips for what else to keep an eye out for? I looked up the thought on Holst on the Intro thread and it says he has different styles so best to buy with care (or something along them lines).

99p Bargain me thinks!

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Nov 3, 2003
  2. MO!

tones compulsive cantater

Elgar's "Pomp & Circumstance" marches, the most famous of which is "Land of mope and tory" - which, shorn of its patriotic Proms setting, is, as Elgar said, a "damn fine tune". The Enigma Variations (most famously Nimrod) are also worth a listen.

And nearly anything by the late Russian Romantic composers, e.g.,

Rimsy-Korsakov, particularly "Scherezade"

Borodin, "In the steppes of central Asia", the symphonies

Mussorgsky, "Pictures at an Expedition", "Night on a bare mountain"

and the greatest of them all, Tchaikovsky - any of the ballet music, "Romeo & Juliet", Capriccio Italien, serenade for strings

tones, Nov 4, 2003
  3. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

If you like those you might enjoy Stravinsky's three 1911 ballets, try them in this order though, Firebird, Petroushka, and then when you've been through those the most challenging but also the most rewarding...Rite of Spring. I think they owe not a little to The Planets in places.

lordsummit, Nov 5, 2003
  4. MO!

Herman

How do Firebird (1910), Petrushka (1911) and the Sacre (1913) owe anything to Holst's Planets (1916)?

Herman

Herman, Nov 8, 2003
  5. MO!

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Oh goody, a quiz. How about that the Planets was described as the English Rite of Spring, in Venus you can hear Firebird influences, and that both were interpreted by Tomita soon after Snowflakes are Dancing. OK the 'owing' was slightly the wrong way round :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2003
    SteveC, Nov 8, 2003
  6. MO!

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm glad somebody knew what I meant.........Didn't someone somewhere post about classical music and red wine?:beer:

lordsummit, Nov 8, 2003
  7. MO!

BlueMax

MO,

Director of a company called MusicBank is having a clearance sale at eBay.

The 60 CD Classical Spectacular Box Set is a brand new product released by Musicbank at £100 and it is being sold for around £12 !! View full pack details at www.musicbank.co.uk
    He also sells 40 CD sets and 12 CD sets at silly prices.

Then go to eBay and look for the seller called 'apwmusic' or email him at [email protected]. His name is Tony Walsh.

They are excellent quality recordings. Re-released.
    Will be a good intro to Classical music.

Also try the Brilliant Classics CDs they have left Superdrug stores.

BlueMax, Nov 10, 2003
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Bargain!!!

Think that should keep me occupied for a while! 60 cds!!!

Cheers :D

MO!, Nov 10, 2003
  9. MO!

BlueMax

MO

You will like them :)

MOre at eBid. Check your PM

BlueMax, Nov 10, 2003
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Well I got my hands on one of the 60cd Box Sets :D

Never heard of a lot of the people on here, but I guess that's a good thing! Time to explore! Could take some time though!

Thanks for the reccomendation BlueMax :beer:

MO!, Dec 9, 2003
  11. MO!

HenryT

We'll see you next Christmas then when you've eventually worked your way through the entire box set! :D

I'm sure you'll become a classical officando in no time. I started off getting into classical through cheapo compilations that I borrowed or acquired. No one taught me or forced anything upon me, I just got a few names from the compilations then branched off through related pieces or by going to the local library and borrowing more CDs by the same composer, etc.

HenryT, Dec 9, 2003
  12. MO!

BlueMax

GR8 :)

I bought 4 sets of those! one for myself and the others as X-Mas pressies:D

Let me know what you think of the technical quality of the recordings?

If you want to know MOre about the composers in there and other useful titbits on classical music, get a copy of the Rough Guide to Classical Music or the paperback by Classic FM. Many libraries stock them.

BlueMax, Dec 9, 2003
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

That's what this forums for is it not ;)

As you say Henry, I've got a few odds and ends but think a compilation like this will allow me to explore a wider range of styles. And hopefuly find the "sound" I'm after :D

CD1: "Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No.3 in G Major...... "

MO!, Dec 9, 2003
  14. MO!

HenryT

Also popularly well known as the theme tune to the Antiques Roadshow! ;) :D

HenryT, Dec 9, 2003
  15. MO!

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Well that's just too tempting, I think I'll give that a whirl. I've got maybe 80 classical CDs, but there's plenty of stuff in this set I haven't heard so it's worth a pop for £20. I'm tempted to try the 6CD jazz set while I'm at it...

MartinC, Dec 10, 2003
  16. MO!

MartinC Trainee tea boy

MO - how are you getting on with your rather daunting set of classical CDs to listen to then? Just in case you get bored going through things in order, I thought I'd just have a quick nose at the list to see what some of the more obviously accessible stuff was. I'm a classical novice myself really, but considering you said you liked Holst's Mars, you might like to check out:

Set 2 CD6 : Carl Orff : Carmina Burana
    Set 2 CD9 : Wagner (you'll know the first track I'm sure
    As a classical novice myself, I've just had a quick scan of the set myself, to see if :) )
    Set 4 CD1 : Beethoven : Symphony no. 5

And a bit lighter, but for me an extremely good, accessible piece of classical music:

Set 4 CD8 : Vivaldi : Four Seasons

MartinC, Dec 11, 2003
  17. MO!

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I've got the Classical Spectacular set of CDs now, and for the bargain price of 33p per CD you can't argue, but it is perhaps worth noting that the background hiss on many of them is pretty significant. For me they're great for background music at work, but I wouldn't want to listen them seriously at home TBH. I am perhaps more irritated by hiss than average though...

MartinC, Dec 18, 2003
  18. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Of what I've listened to so far background noise seems ok. I've only managed about 5cds so far though:rolleyes:

MO!, Dec 18, 2003
  19. MO!

BlueMax

After reading Martins post I played Scheherazade and couple of other tracks with quite passages in it.

I too noticed the hiss when I got my ear close to the tweeters of my Mission 753s. So I suppose these CDs do not fully meet hi-fi standards.

Very listenable though :)

BlueMax, Dec 18, 2003
  20. MO!

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I wasn't just talking right up to the speakers :) Try the Grieg CD from Set1, from the start. The hiss is very obvious from 2m away on my Sony/Pioneer/Mission work system (it would be much more so on my home system). I must stress though that I really enjoyed this CD when I had it on yesterday; as I said for background music they're excellent. Even at home where I've stuck a few of this collection on they're great because on several occasions I've thought "Oh that's what that peice of music is!".

Still an absolute bargain at £20 delivered an no mistake :cool: .

MartinC, Dec 19, 2003
Ask a Question