home made subwoofer

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by nath, Dec 26, 2003.

1. nath

nath

hi guys id like to make a home made subwoofer with the use of an old car audio driver i have but i need a good amplifier to drive the thing

the speaker unit is a velodyne df12sc servo controlled unit with the servo control
    its a 12" sub and the box measurement size should be sealed with around 1.7 cu ft volume or around 46-48 litres if anyone knows of anywhere that sells a brand new box of around the correct size ill buy one or if not ill make one

the amplifier must be able to produce up to around 300 watts r.m.s when called for and must have very little in the way of subsonic filtering as the servo control needs to be calibrated for the unit to work correctly its gonna be used with a pair of atc active 50sl loudspeakers as they roll off a little too early and im missing some of the lower octave notes will mainly be used for music but with a little home theatre as well

cheers
    nath

nath, Dec 26, 2003
  2. nath

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

for the amp have a look at bk electronics ,they do a complete sub module in varies power ratings,there not too expensive either.As for enclosure,much more fun to build yer own

themadhippy, Dec 26, 2003
  3. nath

Lt Cdr Data om

BK used to be used in rels, so excellent amps for the purpose. I am not sure if current rel amps, they say they do their own now, are still identical, I supsect there is little change.

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 27, 2003
  4. nath

nath

thanks very much guys
    gonna enjoy doing some home diy stuff

nath, Dec 27, 2003
  5. nath

tones compulsive cantater

6. nath

angi73

I was thining about giving something like this a go myself.

What about using a JL audio driver with one of the bk amp pannels?

I have W3v2 in my car and it is pretty impressive, powerfull and punchy.

Do you think a JL driver would have suitable qualities for an musical subwoofer unit. Im thinking along the lines of the W6v2 or even W7, both of which appear to be phenomenal fo both output and dexterity.

Im getting tired of my MJA PRO 50's limitations. It's a good unit, but the cabinet and amp board vibrations that it produces, not to mention lack of ultimate extension particularly annoy me, would it be worth re housing it in a custom enclosure??

Do you experience the same problems Michealab??

Angus

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2004
    angi73, Jan 22, 2004
  7. nath

michaelab desafinado

I don't have any issues with my MJA Pro50 TBH. I have to say though that for the past couple of months I've only been using it for AV and not for stereo. It started when I was auditioning new amps and hooking up the sub would have been not only a pain but wouldn't have been good for making comparisons of amps. Since then I've left it and I actually think I prefer to not use it in stereo...

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 23, 2004
  8. nath

angi73

The other and probably better idea is new speakers. probably some large standmounters.

I've tried listening to my PRO AC's without the sub, and its almost impossible with a lot of the music that i like. They are very fast, but even in a small room there is just virtually nothing to underpin the music.

Really i want small but very powerfull speakers, which is something the Tablette's arent really!

audience/Contours or AE 1's are the goal.

angi73, Jan 23, 2004
  9. nath

michaelab desafinado

The Contour 1.3MkIIs can do incredible bass, especially for a standmount. When I had the Krell KAV-400xi on dem the one thing it was spectacularly good at was bass. It made the 1.3MkIIs play as if I had the sub connected :eek: So, I know they can do it - they just need the right amp...

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 23, 2004
  10. nath

angi73

Contour 1.3's or 1.3 MK II seem to be a little bit hard to come by and when i see them they are priced at around £800 which seems a little steep to me....

Maybe some Audience 52's would do the job for me?? or even contour 1.1's?

Although, i have an alpha 10 integrated and a alpha 10 power amp. I wouldn't be able to bi amp the dynaudios.

would that make the power amp redundant, or can i bridge? theres no mention of bridgeing capability by aracm, as i see it.

angi73, Jan 23, 2004
  11. nath

michaelab desafinado

You shouldn't pay more than £600 for a pair of Contour 1.3MkIIs these days but I agree, they don't come up often.

I don't know the 52's or the 1.1s very well so I can't really comment. You'd have to try them out.

Dyns only have a single set of binding posts so, no, bi-amping is not an option. I don't know if you can bridge the Alpha 10 with the P10 but I don't think so - looking at the manual for my FMJ A22 it would appear not :(

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 23, 2004
Ask a Question