Home music server???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Beatniksteve, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Beatniksteve

Beatniksteve

Hi all, just arrived here and would like to pick your brains.
    I have put together a half decent home hifi, and have just started to enjoy my music again.
    Until recently I was using an iPad to store and play various music / video to play through my system, it was ok but with limited storage and limited formats, but it was very easy to select tracks, and stream various sources.
    I have now changed to an astell kern AK70, which has raised the bar audio wise and storage wise.
    It’s too fiddly and difficult to see without glasses!
    Can anyone recommend a way of storing flac quality music on a tablet size unit, with bags of storage.
    It needn’t be portable, ie pocket size, there must be something out there that is a cross between the AK70 and the iPad, I just don’t know where to look!

Beatniksteve, Sep 23, 2018
  2. Beatniksteve

attrition

Your problem is that you have limited yourself by the size of device you're specifying. If your router has a USB 3.0 connector on it, you may be able to easily attach an external HDD that can be used as your .flac repository. You can access the music on that HDD via your tablet quite easily. If your router does not have such capabilities, either change your router or install a NAS which can be connected to your home network via an ethernet cable. You can find a NAS for quite cheap on the used market, but be sure before you buy one that it can work with large HDD's - I have four 10tb HDD's in my home built NAS and they're about 30% full.

attrition, Oct 8, 2018
Ask a Question