home wireless network

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by midlifecrisis, Dec 11, 2004.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

I'm sure some of you have done this... I've ordered my kids PCs for Xmas and want to link them to mine via a Netgear dg834g wireless router and USB adaptors. Question is, do I also need an adaptor for my 'main pc', or can the router be physically connected to i t (given it will sit a foot away, seems a pity to blow anothe 50 quid on the adapter if not needed)?

midlifecrisis, Dec 11, 2004
  2. midlifecrisis

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

If the router has ethernet ports (most have at least 4), then a £2 cable is all you need to go from the ethernet port on your PC to the router. If your PC is a few years old and doesn't have an integrated adapter, you can pick up a PCI network card for about £6 or so.

nsherin, Dec 11, 2004
  3. midlifecrisis

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I have the non-wireless version of this router, the DG834, and indeed all you need is a normal patch cable (not crossover).

I-S, Dec 11, 2004
  4. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

thanks. guess I know how I'm going to be spending Xmas day. and Boxing day. and...

midlifecrisis, Dec 11, 2004
  5. midlifecrisis

rodrat

I set up a similar system for my kids to share my broadband. Although mine is a belkin router with usb. The set up was fairly easy and it worked almost straight away. The tweaking of security and protocol settings is a little more complicated depending on the instructions. I assume you have xp. The service pack 2 makes it even easier.

Rod

rodrat, Dec 14, 2004
Ask a Question