How can you tell if its a co-axial or optical input?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Apr 10, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I know this is a really stupid question. I've just bought a cable (which I can take back) which 2.5mm to 2.5mm toslink, but it won't fit in the dac.

The connectors in my DAC are both quite big and have a tiny input hole, inspecting it I would guess they are co-axial.

I am really confused now as I have no idea what cable I need for my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 1.

amazingtrade, Apr 10, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

The co-axial cables are just standard RCA leads arent they?

If so they it must be optial but I must have the wrong kind of cable. I think I must need a mini to standard toslink connector.

3. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

Toslink connectors are somewhat square, will only fit one way round, and couldn't be confused with coaxial, which will take a standard RCA connector. As you've discovered, toslink has two sizes, mini and standard. There are adaptors available to convert a mini to standard, and vice-versa.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 10, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

5. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

sideshowbob, Apr 10, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

What a day, I have lost the receipt so I have had to cancel my credit card. I am now stuck with a 2 metre 2.50mm toslink cable I can't take back. I will just have to sell it on ebay.

I shall phone Richer Sounds on tuesday and ask them what cable it requires it will save a lot more hassle.

Hopefully I can get some of the money back from that cable off ebay.

Its not a 3 pin thing, but it does have DIN sockets as well as RCA for output. I've looked at BNC connectors and thats defenatly what I have on the back of my DAC.

Oh well I'm guess I am not an entrepenuer the entire fiasco probably serves me right.

7. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I had been wondering, since I was fairly sure that the DACmagic did have coax inputs.

Yes, the dacmagics used BNC connectors for their Coax inputs. I had assumed that as you were computer literate you would recognise a BNC (as they were used for 10base2 thin ethernet).

You can buy BNC to phono adaptors from farnell for about £1 each (FEC 370-6722). This will allow you to use normal phono-phono cables with the DAC. Otherwise, you can get cables terminated with BNC connectors at one or both ends (some transports use them too).

TOSlink optical connectors are little squarish black plastic things, with a protuding round bit in the middle which is the end of the fibre.

Regarding the analogue outputs, are you sure they're DIN? Are they not 3 pin XLRs for balanced output?

I-S, Apr 10, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

Sid and Coke

I thought most shops just required proof of purchase for refunds, which doesn't always mean your original till receipt. I'd take it back and talk to them nicely without the reciept. Failing that you could contact your credit card company and they will have all the details of the transaction on their records. write them down and take them to the shop. The shop manager will be able to trace the purchase for you. i have found that shops these days are very helpfull.
    Some of the large multi's are so big that the staff don't care anyway, They are short timers and it's not their money.... it's easier to give you your money back that get a load of hassle.

If it was an optical Toslink connector, when you press play with the dust cap removed you will see red light eminating from the hole. Use your finger tip to reflect the light off - don't look down the hole.

Sid and Coke, Apr 10, 2004
  9. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

so you can use your Dacmagic with your dvd player and cd player (presumably they both have coaxial digital outputs- the cd6000 def does). i reckon u got a bargain for £35

its not a bad day after all, is it ;) ?

Rory, Apr 10, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

I had considered using it myself but I don't really have the money at the moment to justify it.

Yeah I do know what a BNC is but its been years since I last seen one, I had no idea they were ever used in hifi I just assumed it was some kind of optical connection.

I bought it from a back street electronics shop so there is no chance of taking it back without the reciept they even told me to make sure I had it if I bought it back. I just sell it for a £5 on ebay and loose the £3.

I would imagine the DAC in the CD6000OSE LE would of a better standard than the DAC Magic 1 though wouldn't it? I could use it for my DVD and digital TV box (only if it has a co-axial out) though.

11. amazingtrade

And Issac yep they are XLRs rather than DIN sockets.

I've just checked my freeview box and it does have a digital co-axial out so I could use it with that and my DVD player and sell somthing else to recover the money.

12. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I wouldn't be so sure about the DAC in the 6000 OSE LE being better. The DACmagic was designed by Pink Triangle, a now defunct high-end manufacturer, and were heralded as stonking bargains in their day. Offering balanced outs at the price was unheard of, and even now the only DAC at that end of the market that does is the SuperDAC (but this has an AES/EBU input up its sleeve also).

However, I don't think it's so much a question of better or worse, but different. The DACmagic will have a different voicing and presentation to the CD6000. Which you prefer will be down to personal taste. Personally, I don't find the analogue output on marantz players to be much to write home about (and I owned a CD63 for many years, and now own a CD16), and I use the superDAC (with modifications) in preference to the analogue outs of the CD16 (which retailed over £1k). It's a matter of presentation, where the superdac is fast, punchy and dynamic, whilst the marantz is smoother (and yet a little harsh also). The superDAC also offers balanced connection into the S300.

I-S, Apr 10, 2004
  13. amazingtrade

Thanks it may be worth a try then. What is bothering me now though is will the Trasnport on the Marantz CD6000 OSE be a much better feed than my old Sony CDP530. I would hate to think I've wasted £150 on my Marantz when my old Sony would have been just as good. Or would the Marantz transport be quite a bit better?

14. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

transport on the Marantz will be a load better than the Sony. Less jitter, stronger construction, copper base plate, HDAMs (think they're pre-dac but i may be wrong). Besides, the Sony only has the awful-sounding Optical out whereas the Marantz not only has Toslink but a pretty good coaxial digital out.

What does it cost to try? a bnc to phono adaptor and a phono to phono cable, which you'll prob have lying around.

Rory, Apr 11, 2004
  15. amazingtrade

Thanks, well it has a nice switch on it as well so I can improve the sound of my TV and DVD while I'm at it. I just need to sell that damn fibre optic cable which cost me my debit card now:)

I've just had an accident with my CD player anyway

:mad:

amazingtrade, Apr 11, 2004
Ask a Question