How do they do it??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by T-bone Sanchez, Apr 26, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Just been bidding on a Systemdek IIX on ebay as a cheap TT to try out my phono project. My max bid was £70, I was winning right upto the last minute, and I mean the last minute with £51. I refreshed and auction ended came up with winning bid of £72! Now how the hell did someone time that, with one bid, that would just beat my maximum?? Something very fishy :mad:

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 26, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

hifikrazy

Depends on what you mean by last minute? With manual sniping (as it is called) you can quite easily place a bid in the last couple of seconds. However computer aided sniping can time it down to, well, not a lot. The limiting/deciding factor being the connection speed (latency) for computer sniping (note i wouldnt recommend this unless you know what you are doing as it often involves giving your ebay id and pwd to a 3rd party - which is a bad idea) and to some degree for a manual snipe.
    Also its not about just beating your maximum by a little - their maximum bid remember may well have been more than £72.

hifikrazy, Apr 26, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

zanash

Look up Auction sniper on google !

zanash, Apr 26, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

It must have been down to seconds. The guy whose won has 2 feedbacks but both are no longer registered and was a personal auction, hmmmmmm me thinks this TT might come up again. I'll have a look for sniper on the 'net.

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 26, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

muffinman

i got a v festival ticket on sunday. manually sniped with 5 secs to go. put in a reasonable max bid which would leave him no time to respond. got a 'bargain' and a weekend away

muffinman, Apr 26, 2005
Ask a Question