How many albums by the same artist.......

Discussion in 'General Music' started by la toilette, Jul 17, 2007.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

.....do you feel you need before you have enough?

Stupid question I know as there are loads of artists who are capable of producing consistently great music, but does anyone else end up buying album after album by bands or artists just because you liked the first one or two or three? I suppose I'm talking new release stuff here, albums which you buy as soon as they come out.

I realise that some bands go through periods that you may like less, and then astound you by producing something masterful just when you least expect it.

Anyway, this idle thought was brought to you courtesy of the latest White Stripes album, which although good, strikes me as just 'more of the same'. Maybe it'll grow on me :).

la toilette, Jul 17, 2007
  2. la toilette

Joe

I used to, but not any more. For example, I struggled on for years with Lou Reed's solo albums, wishing/hoping that he'd put out something good, but after a while it became clear that it just wasn't going to happen.

I think the key phrase is 'more of the same'. IMO the only artists who have put out more than 2 or 3 'must have' albums are those whose music changed over time; for example all The Beatles albums are worth having because they aren't just 'Please Please Me' re-hashes. By contrast there's not a single Stones LP worth having after 'Exile on Main Street' ('Goat's Head Soup' if I'm feeling generous), because they simply had nothing left to say that wasn't being said much better by others.

When there's so much good stuff out there, brand loyalty to an artist often gets in the way of catching new/different/better things.

Joe, Jul 17, 2007
  3. la toilette

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

tomwaits: more than 10

sq225917, Jul 17, 2007
  4. la toilette

Dev Moderator

LT. I have to agree with you. It's a stupid question:D. Stating the obvious but I don't think we should care about the artist at all, just their music. If you like a track, but it. I sometimes buy a whole album if I like a track enough, and if I'm lucky I may like other tracks on the album. I have very rarely liked a whole album, let alone every album by ANY artist. But I guess people buy albums for different reasons apart from listening to them. For example they may believe that a complete collection by an artist may be an investment, it could just be an obsession, could be because they fancy someone in the group (another reason I HATE videos :grrr:, but that's another thread).

Dev, Jul 17, 2007
  5. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

My speciality! :D

That's where we differ, I definitely enjoy the album 'experience', as I see them as almost organic, a collection of songs that were created together at a similar time by the same person(s), the songs seem to naturally follow each other. I very rarely buy an album on the strength of one song, although maybe I should as I'm always moaning about not having enough new music!

Well yes in a way, for instance I have all the previous White Stripes albums and it is nice to have the complete collection (so far) although obsession is a strong word :)D), but not as an investment.

Yep, brand loyalty must go (well, a bit), must buy more impulsively!

la toilette, Jul 17, 2007
  6. la toilette

Dev Moderator

I know what you mean LT. I (think) I bought all albums by U2 and Dire Straits they produced on vinyl before I stopped buying vinyl. Don't tell SSB though:D.

Dev, Jul 17, 2007
  7. la toilette

Tom

I have 18 Joni Mitchell albums, but there you go... Some might call me a completist!

Tom, Jul 17, 2007
  8. la toilette

Cheese

Hm, a harsh sounding statement. Tattoo You was pretty good and Stonian as ever, and Steel Wheels wasn't bad either if you tolerate the bombastic hooray rock which was on at the time. Especially when you look at who else was around at the time : Phil Collins, U2 with Bono gone over the top, Scorpions having turned sour, oh yeah there was Michael Jackson too.

Cheese, Aug 4, 2007
  9. la toilette

zygote23

Oh dear I think I have around 70 Klaus Schulze at last count....maybe more.

Oh and it's his Birthday Today!

Glücklicher Geburtstag Klaus

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007
    zygote23, Aug 4, 2007
  10. la toilette

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

I have 24 Rush albums. Some are tripples and doubles in that lot.
    dave

DaveHiFi, Aug 4, 2007
  11. la toilette

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

19 Joni Mitchells and 21 Frank Zappa are the largest artists in my collection.
    Dave, I've just bought the import 2LP of Snakes & Arrows...wicked.

Pure_Carbon, Aug 17, 2007
  12. la toilette

ADPully

I thinks that most artists product three or four great albums and then standards seem to nose dive or break up: Wishbone Ash, Dire Straits, Genesis, Gentle Giant Steely Dan Etc.There are several who get past this and continue with great things -such s Neil Young, Zappa and Peter Gabriel. But for me Richard Thompson is that one artist who has maintained quality throughout all his output. I have to buy and album if I see it must have about 15 of them. I store albums randomly so cant easily be exact. Im moving music rooms soon so that will help me reorder my stuff

zygote23 - Do you count Tangerine Dream Albums in your 70 Klause Shulze count - Live miles is my Favourate?

Andy

ADPully, Aug 17, 2007
  13. la toilette

zygote23

I don't count the Tangerine Dream stuff as he only played on one AFAIK 'Electronic Meditation' from 1970.

I've kind of grown out of most of the TD stuff and really only listen to stuff like Ricochet, Phaedra and Rubycon. In fact most of the Electronic stuff I no longer want (including a lot of TD) will appear HERE over the coming weeks so shout if you want any.

zygote23, Aug 17, 2007
  14. la toilette

ADPully

Have you "live miles" by TD on vinyl?

Andy

ADPully, Aug 17, 2007
  15. la toilette

badchamp Thermionic Member

I have almost everything Porcupine Tree have done on CD (bout 18 I guess) and there's hardly a duff track around. Also got quite a few Zappa but can't be arsed to count em all.

Very few bands can produce that consistent level of output.

Would I keep a PT album if it turned out to be rubbish. Hmmm ??

Jeff

badchamp, Aug 17, 2007
  16. la toilette

zygote23

Unfortunately only on cd.

I have Ricochet, Hyperborea, Green Desert, and a bootleg disc as well as Warsaw in the sun 12" on vinyl.

zygote23, Aug 18, 2007
  17. la toilette

ADPully

Shame - Im only interested in live miles im afraid.
    Some good news though I did find a copy of Genesis live that I didnt know I had whilst I was checking through my for TD vinyl stuff (my 1000ish collection of vinyl is randomly ordered) I have recently been told this is brilliant reissue on classic 180grm. So another purchase in in the offing.

Andy

ADPully, Aug 18, 2007
  18. la toilette

dreftar

I have over 20 Bob Dylan Cds and a good few on vinyl too. There is always something worth listening to on each album, but I keep coming back to Blond on Blond, Highway 61 Revisited and John Wesley Harding. The live concert in the Albert Hall - both acoustic and Electric Sets is awesome. Of his recent albums Time Out Of Mind is worth a listen and listen again and again. An Album to miss is New Morning!

dreftar, Aug 19, 2007
  19. la toilette

ZenGarden

Every official Dylan album, many on both CD & vinyl and now remastered. Plus numerous bootlegs and rarities.

Am I boasting? Yes, but I did start over 40 years ago.

ZenGarden, Aug 19, 2007
  20. la toilette

dreftar

Must have been about the same time as my self - John Wesley Harding was the first Album of Bobs that I listened to and was wrapped from then on. That must have been around 1966 give or take a year...........:MILD:

dreftar, Aug 20, 2007
Ask a Question