How many of you are *REALLY* music lovers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well, just interested, being as it is that many of you seem to spend more time talking about it than actually listening to it, and that half of the time you probably listen to your stuff through 2 walls and doors whilst sitting at your computers writing about how a cable transformed your systems from a scabby Aiwa into a Mark Levinson, or how music sounds garbled and malformed without Mana?

Just wondering :D

Me? I pass the time at work with them, and my audio system is also my computer, so I am exempt :D

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  2. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

from ever haveing a decent listening experiance

give it a rest mate!

penance, Nov 25, 2003
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

How would you know whether I have a decent listening experiences?

Perfectly civil question I thought.

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  4. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

not really

see my answer to your drivel in the other thread

*yawn*

penance, Nov 25, 2003
  5. PBirkett

tones compulsive cantater

Time to point out (again) that Flanders & Swann got it right in the 1960s:

I had a little gramophone,
    I'd wind it round and round.
    And with a sharpish needle,
    It made a cheerful sound.

And then they amplified it,
    It was much louder then.
    And used sharpened fibre needles,
    To make it soft again.

Today for reproduction,
    I'm as eager as can be.
    Count me among the faithful fans,
    Of high fidelity.

High fidelity,
    Hi-Fi's the thing for me.
    With an LP disk and an FM set,
    And a corner reflex cabinet.

High frequency range,
    Complete with auto-change.
    All the highest notes neither sharp nor flat,
    The ear can't hear as high as that.
    Still, I ought to please any passing bat,
    With my high fidelity.

(Spoken) Who made this circuit up for you, anyway? Bought it in a shop? Oooh, what a horrible shoddy job they fobbed you off with with.
    Surprised they let you have it in this room anyway, the acoustics are all wrong. If you raise the ceiling four feet... put the fireplace from that wall to that wall... you'll still only get the stereophonic effect if you sit in the bottom of that cupboard.
    I see... I see you've got your negative feedback coupled in with your push-pull-input-output. Take that across through your redded pickup to your tweeter, if you're modding more than eight, you're going to get wow on your top. Try to bring that down through your pre-amp rumble filter to your woofer, what'll you get? Flutter on your bottom!

High fidelity,
    FFRR for me.
    I've an opera here that you shan't escape,
    On miles and miles of recording tape.

High decimal gain,
    Is easy to obtain.
    With the tone control at a single touch,
    Bel canto sounds like double Dutch.
    But I never did care for music much,
    It's the high fidelity!

tones, Nov 25, 2003
  6. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Penance, if your just going to post stuff like that, then GFY.

Nice poem tones.

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  7. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

touche mate

so its OK for you to slag off people that can appreciate decent cables etc, because it doesnt agree with your ethos, but heaven forbid someone may bite and tell some home truths.

penance, Nov 25, 2003
  8. PBirkett

mr cat Member of the month

I hope I like music - this is my CD collection...:D

mr cat, Nov 25, 2003
  9. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Woah dudes - lighten up :) Not seen much on this forum this week so dunno what it's about but come on...

Hmm - what if you're falling over piles of vinyl (in various states of being cleaned, sorted etc) and therefore can't get to the stereo? Well, it's not THAT bad, but there's always this weekend's record fair to help!

Edited to add - nice collection there Mr Cat :)

I can't show you mine - Naim forum's images won't show here and I can't find the attach option...

I don't listen to tunes much on the work computer; I have the symphony of insipid Nokia ringtones, a drinks machine with a beep that makes a shuttle launch sound quiet (not to mention all the whirring grinding noises it makes), a foghorn gobbed bint across the other side of the room, a clackity clicky keyboard that I incessently hammer (especially when our internal phone database f***s up, like this week, and I'm the only one who seems to be able to get it working :() vying for my attention, so music would be drowned out by all that.

Open plan offices SUCK - and Nokia ringtones suck WORSE! Thank CHRIST no sad muppet here has Jingle Bells as their ringtone yet, as they'd have an awful time trying to dial their phone by the time I've shoved it where a proctologist wouldn't want to go....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2003
    domfjbrown, Nov 25, 2003
  10. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

Well, let me see, I have about 4000 CDs and about 800 LPs, spend about £50 a week on music, and work from home for about half the week, so I would guess on those days music is playing for about 10 hours. I watch TV about 3 hours a week, the rest of the time when I'm at home music is always playing. I hear live music about once a week on average I suppose. I've been listening to that much music for about 25 years I'd guess.

You seem to have adopted a terribly superior "I'm a music lover" attitude Paul but you post more often on more forums than just about anybody else here it seems.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 25, 2003
  11. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

ah yes, i forgot

around 350 LP's
    600+ CD's
    300 old tapes
    20 DVDs of music/gigs etc
    Radio listening

And around 3.5Gig of compressed crap on a laptop

Hmm, i think i love music
    nice 4 hour vinyl session last night aswell, i guess that makes me a music hater:rolleyes:

penance, Nov 25, 2003
  12. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nice collection Mr Cat, and Sideshowbob.

I know what ya mean about offices Dom - sounds just like mine...

Sideshowbob, I agree this is a provacative post, for entertainment purposes more than anything else. I am really just genuinely curious more than anything else. I do post a lot yes, but I am listening to music CONSTANTLY in the same room.

But surely a nice heated debate adds a bit of life to the forum does it not? ;)

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  13. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Never said that, you are putting words in my mouth.

I dont think its unreasonable to ask on a forum where the ratio of music posts to equipment posts is 10 to 1 whether they are in it for the music or the equipment.

I have admiration for the way this forum has been set up by Mike, and the way it has gathered momentum, but I am not so impressed with the way if you somehow stand out from the crowd a little, you get flamed.

I dont know what I am suppose to have done to incur your wrath, but no-one else ever seemed that bothered about what I said.

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  14. PBirkett

maddog 2

I'd say it was a perfectly good question, Paul. Made me laugh actually.

Sounds to me like the spikey response is something residual from a past thread.

In the world of the mad dog, I think the listening-to-music hobby and hifi hobby can definitely exist as separate things. I find I swing about over time. Interestingly the period from the end of summer to christmas tends to be the most active hifi period. Post christmas I tend to settle down and just listen to music (also I'm usually skint)

Summer tends to be given over to other hobbies (motorcycling, mountainbiking, barbequeing...)

maddog 2, Nov 25, 2003
  15. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hey maddog...

I'm glad it amused you mate. I felt like it had to be asked, otherwise I wouldnt have. I know a fair few people on other forums that have the pre-conceived belief that folks on this forum are NOT music lovers, and more into box swapping, and really dont give a toss about music.

I just thought I'd have the courtesy to ask before assuming this :D

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  16. PBirkett

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul, virtually all of the posters here I feel are music lovers of one form or another, I'm afraid I only have around 600 CD's so not much on the grand scheme compared to life long enjoyers of vibes, but does the fact you have x hundred/thousand, make you any less of a music lover? or in particular the music you choose to listen too? thoughts? Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 25, 2003
  17. PBirkett

Wingnut

Luckily, having a laptop with a wireless network, I can sit in my usual place to listen to my music - and write drivel at the same time! ;) That's the best of both worlds.

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 25, 2003
  18. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Damn right mate. You've put it better than I probably could. I'm not really sure whether there is a correlation between the number of records you own and how much of a music lover you are. I dont have many either compared to most on this forum, but I personally wouldnt have said it made me any less a music lover. Just that I havent had the time or means to build up a collection like some people here have.

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003
  19. PBirkett

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am sure there has been a thread very similar to this on here before but I think the problem is many find HIFI much easier to write about than music. I spend about 4-5 hours a day listenignt o music and about 2 hours a month tweeking with my HIFI if that.

Music is my main passion above all else, HIFI has to to be involved some because of that. However I do admit I am also interested in the electronics side of HIFI too. Computers is my other main passion though I am more into software development these days rather than playing about with different motherboards and clocking CPUS.

Do I spend enough money on music? No.:mad:

amazingtrade, Nov 25, 2003
  20. PBirkett

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Some of you appear to be equating being a music lover with
    a: How much time is spent listening to music
    b: How good you kit is.

Both of these do not indicate whether you are a music lover, just that
    a: You have a lot of spare time to listen
    b: You have more spare cash than others

And those that listen whilst working. Are you really listening? If you are then I'd sack you for not concentrating on your work.

Probably the biggest music lover I know of a friend of GrahamN. He is hardly ever in and his kit cost him £300 from Richer Sounds. However he is usually at a concert, at least, every other night. Last year he only missed 6 concerts in the entire Proms series. Now that is a music lover

LiloLee, Nov 25, 2003
Ask a Question