How many of you are *REALLY* music lovers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Nov 25, 2003.

1. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

True :D But often things like "detail, timing, bass, accurracy etc" help to make a system listenable and MOre enjoyable IMO.

as shown by how the speakers on the same unit as the turntable? ;)

MO!, Nov 25, 2003
  2. PBirkett

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

MO, good points - was trying to make the point of becoming obsessive over things. Could have phrased that one better :D

Agreee there - speakers are in a crap position, but due to the size of my room, not much I can really do about that. Don't have space for stands.

nsherin, Nov 26, 2003
  3. PBirkett

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I have around 60 cds and 60 records.

garyi, Nov 26, 2003
  4. PBirkett

mr cat Member of the month

check out that carriage clock too....:D

mr cat, Nov 26, 2003
  5. PBirkett

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Clive, stick to interfering with equines mate, you know you enjoy it more :)

wadia-miester, Nov 26, 2003
  6. PBirkett

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Excellent Fox. Sounds like you're on the right track. ;)

7_V, Nov 26, 2003
  7. PBirkett

Alex S User

Your listening room is far too musical even if your music isn't, fox. You need to chop that beast of a room in half and lower the ceiling. But first you need to move the house to Cymru Close.

Alex S, Nov 26, 2003
  8. PBirkett

Dev Moderator

Ah, welcome to the world of tinnitus:D

Dev, Nov 26, 2003
  9. PBirkett

Nah, actually, the pseudo-random white noise comes from my measurement software. My tinnitus is clear as a bell.

7_V, Nov 26, 2003
  10. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

Fox, good to see you here. If you're not fond of Zorn's Masada cos they've got tunes, check out his Electric Masada group (they haven't recorded yet, but no doubt will soon; they've been playing live quite a lot). Awe-inspiring and barking mad, like the best bits of Naked City and Painkiller with added skronk and a bit of groovy organ thrown in. Cool (and loud) as feck.

btw, Are you going to the TG holiday camp next year? Info here: http://www.mute.com/tg/retg.html

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 26, 2003
  11. PBirkett

Dev Moderator

So even your tinnitus is hifi standard:D , I'm just unlucky :p .

Dev, Nov 26, 2003
  12. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Re: I hate music

FOR REAL!? Cool - where can I get hold of this - sounds suitably mad enough for me to be curious about...

Robot versus rabbit!? What a cool name - might have to check them out just on the name alone - it worked for Soundgarden... :D :MILD:

I know you're being ironic (or are you!?) about your ethos behind your rig, but if you're not - my mate Paddy and you would get on like a house on fire - his main phrase is "distortion until deafness" - although his very cheap Richer Sounds rig actually isn't that bad. Oh - he's a viylist too, but he never cleans his records or stylus - eek!

domfjbrown, Nov 26, 2003
  13. PBirkett

Lt Cdr Data om

That's a bit venemous penance, dunno what paul has done to derserve that...we all have different ideas and opinions...

its a legitimate question....I find it bizarre that we focus SO much on the means..ie the equipment, rather than the end, simply listening and enjoying to music.

Does it really correlate that the more we spend on our rigs, the more enjoyment we get out of our music. I am not always convinced.

I don't think there is any other pursuit, possibly wine, maybe which is so snobbish as this...winos chew over wine analysing its every nuance and taste, pulling it apart,
    sure if you spend £6+ on a bottle, it usually does get markedly better to a point,
    having said that, I would far rather buy a £7-£10 chilean red than a £30 french chateux. It would be far better at a much cheaper price. But I wouldn't mind a taste of a petrus or something really esteemed.

But that is taste, and things taste a multitude of things, whearas with sound, it can still be plesant if its a cheap nad.

We don't analyse the colours when we are watching tv, some saddo mags are doing this with dvd ratings, you don't look at actors costume on the stage and say, I think it would be better if the red was a little more vibrant, the costume dept isn't quite putting all the detail into its military logos...or something like that you get the point.

Yet in hifi we just often listen for the leading edges, and forget to just sit down and enjoy music

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2003
    Lt Cdr Data, Nov 26, 2003
  14. PBirkett

And you say you're not a music lover. :rolleyes:

7_V, Nov 26, 2003
  15. PBirkett

lowrider Live music is surround

I think we are mixing things a bit here... :rolleyes:

Hifi is an hobby, and like all other hobbies it is usually obsessive, music love can or cannot be the spark that started it, for some it could be just another toy, or show-off... :JPS:

Loving music doesn't mean having tones of discs, or vice-versa, I used to come home from school and close myself in my parents living-room listening to my favourite radio station for hours, instead of studying :shame: , I bought my first stereo in Saudi Arabia, just to listen, every night, to a few cassettes, Dire Straits, Bob Dylon, Mariane Faithfull, Pink Floyd and a few more... :boogie:

Later in Canada I got into the hifi hobby, along with classical music hobby, I built a nice system and a nice collection of CDs...

Now I am in the AV hobby, so I do post in a bit of forums, nothing wrong with it, that doesn't mean a thing about me loving music or not, just gives me the chance of enjoying it more... :gould:

lowrider, Nov 26, 2003
  16. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I have to say I agree with what you are saying completely, and this is how someone who isnt in to hifi perceives this behavior. It is easy to lose site and just listen to the music.

As strange as this may sound, but sometimes I really do wonder about whether having better systems just makes you analyse the sound more, and thus losing sight into why we get into it in the first place.

When i had cheap crap, I didnt analyse at all. I just enjoyed it.

Quite often now, I analyse it, and I feel like it'll take some practice and discipline to get myself out of it, and also, this over analytical approach to listening is what causes upgraditis IMO.

PBirkett, Nov 26, 2003
  17. PBirkett

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Paul you are listening to compressed music on a computer through heaphones, it won't get much worse, by your rekoning you should be the worlds greatest lover of music.

garyi, Nov 26, 2003
  18. PBirkett

Lt Cdr Data om

I know its a hobby, and do excuse it on those grounds, but the behaviour can be a bit odd and obsessive.

Most onlookers would be aghast at the strange behaviour of some of us! they would just sit down and listen to the music.

I know naim is good, but it does strike me as odd that ' I have to have the best or I can't enjoy my music' 'I have to have this amp, this zero feedback amp if I don't, the rest are crap,
    'I can only enjoy if I have a cds3, nap 500, nbls'
    ...that kind of thing.....I feel sorry for some poor wives who have to put up with not having a good holiday as the man has spent 1000s on his kit....

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 26, 2003
  19. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

With a soundcard that has a very good onboard DAC rivalling any budget CD player and probably even better ones too.

Compressed music that I cannot tell apart from the original.

Hardly my fault I have to make compromises. But I do have speakers. And FYI, my headphones are considered to be in the very top tier of dynamic headphones, and are likely superior to your speakers in many ways.

How the hell would you know how my music sounds? You are writing it off and yet you've never heard my system.

I really am fucking sick of being sneered at by people who think they are so knowledgable just because they have thrown thousands at their hifi system.

So please, can anyone who has not heard my system, please **** off with these stupid comments. :mad:

PBirkett, Nov 26, 2003
  20. PBirkett

Joolsburger

Snobs are the very worst kind of people. Not only do they vocalise the rather dimwitted thoughts they have, but they also believe that everyone else agrees.

I'd rather have P's computer set up than emotional problems like yours.

Joolsburger, Nov 26, 2003
Ask a Question