How much would a minor repair cost to fix a dry joint?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Jan 2, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The solder joint on the left RCA socket on my CDP is playing up again, I am not feeling confident enough to fix it myself, its been 5 years since I last used a soldering iron.

How much is a local TV shop likely to want for fixing this? The problem is cured by tapping the CDP but its starting to get frustrating.

amazingtrade, Jan 2, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

At least 20 quid.

garyi, Jan 2, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

OK it looks like its time to get some practising at soldering then :).

I guess it depends how hard it is to get the motherboard out of the CDP. Its the standard Marantz chasis which DIY modders seem to like so it can't be that hard.

4. amazingtrade

zanash

If you can get it to me I'll do it for nothing ...pm me

zanash, Jan 2, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

Thanks, if only you lived nearer. It wieghs 6-8kg so it would cost nearly £20 in postage.

I might ask at my local TV repair shop if he is quiet he may be able to it fairly cheaply.

It is just a dab solder, but I guess the old joint needs removing, cleaning, fluxing and resoldering.

6. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

I can't believe you couldn't do that yourself, if you know which way up to hold an iron (a mistake you'd only make once I should think) you can do that. Whats the worst that could happen? If you short a joint just break the short. I've done those before and didn't even bother to remove the old joint cause they weren't dry, it was just the stress of plugging and unpluging.

Anex, Jan 2, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

How easy is the motherboard to remove from the chasis? I probably can do it, I can build a PC no problem, its just I am not a great solderer.

I will get it open tomorrow and have a look at it.

8. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

AT I'm sure you will manage fine. Just don't do anything that you can't un-do when taking it apart. There will probably just be a few screws holding the board onto a few posts. Might have to unclip a few cables, but they normally have plugs on them.

Find the joint and put some fresh weed.. uh.. I mean solder in it. The worst case I guess is that the track could be coming off from the board. In this case you might need to jumper a connection from further down the track to the plug. Sounds unlikely though.

Remember to take some pictures of it with its pants down for us!

Tenson, Jan 2, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

I am going off to Maplin in a minute to buy some solder, my solder is 6 years old. I may also need an new iron depending if I can find my old one and what kind of condition it is in.

Is there any kind of solder I should buy? I will get it off the rack and post pictures before I get the stuff. If I can't get the motherboard out its pointless buying solder.

amazingtrade, Jan 3, 2006
  10. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Is there anything wrong with 6 year old solder? :confused:

Tenson, Jan 3, 2006
  11. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Use any solder you like. Personally I buy the stuff with a bit of silver in, £10 for a big reel. It means you can use it on gold plated connections etc.
    Yes, its extremely easy to get to the main board. Just undo all the screws, only takes a few mins. You don't even have to take the board out really.

Anex, Jan 3, 2006
  12. amazingtrade

I didn't risk it, it wasn't as simple as removing the PCB. The problemn is the transformer is attached to it and it goes right underneath the transport.

[​IMG]

This picture is not that great but you can see the PCB is attached to the entire chasis and there is a machanical lever that is attached to the switch, all that needs to be removed.

[​IMG]

This where the problem seems to be, the output stage, there is actually four of those gold heatsinks, two on a daughterboard and two on the main chasis PCB.

I am not sure how I can get to it without removing the board.

amazingtrade, Jan 3, 2006
  13. amazingtrade

gelatinous cube

Its quite straightforward, you do have to unscrew the mains transformer and undo the mains switch, after doing that bracing. also don't forget all the retainers on the back panel, and the pcb screws, then lift the pcb gently out.

You use some fine nose pliers to push in those plastic 'nipples' and you can gently pull the board up.

Marantzs are notorious for dry joints around the phono sockets.

gelatinous cube, Jan 3, 2006
  14. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

It doesn't go under the transport, the transport is mounted to the chassis. Just push the tray out.

Anex, Jan 3, 2006
Ask a Question