How to get rid of Toshiba splash screen??!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la toilette, Aug 31, 2006.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

A friend of mine has an oldish laptop that needs the OS reloading but we can't get into the bios to change the boot sequence (just boots straight off c: drive, doesn't even look at the floppy or CD) as the stupid Toshiba splash screen comes up. Tried pressing every key to try to get into setup but to no avail so far.

Any tips?!

la toilette, Aug 31, 2006
  2. la toilette

auric FOSS

According to Mr Google if you know the flavour of your bios then;
    Or try;
    That is the best I can do as I've never needed to look that far under the hood, best of luck.

PS PF12 when the Toshiba splash screen pops into view will get you to the boot menu, could this be the screen you are after? I have used this a few times when reinstalling the operating system but can't remember if it was the bios screen or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
    auric, Aug 31, 2006
  3. la toilette

Thanks auric, one or more of those methods is sure to get me into the correct bit, thanks heaps!

la toilette, Sep 1, 2006
  4. la toilette

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I had a similar problem with a PB pc. Instead of a screen which told you how to get into the settings, there was a PB/Microsoft screen.

Pressing F2 did the trick, which then allowed you to get into settings to disable the PB/MS screen.

A bit daft that you need to get into the settings to turn of the screen so as to have it tell you how to get into the settings :rolleyes:

MO!, Sep 1, 2006
  5. la toilette

Yeah, really annoying aren't they!

I think I tried all the 'F' keys already (as well as Del & Ins) , but as soon as I have the laptop back here again I'll run through all the other possibilities..

la toilette, Sep 1, 2006
  6. la toilette

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Good god, why do you people put up with this stuff?

garyi, Sep 1, 2006
  7. la toilette

Eh?

la toilette, Sep 1, 2006
  8. la toilette

Lokasenna

I'm working on a Toshiba Satellite 5005-2504, which is one of those that doesn't have a legacy BIOS and uses a BIOS-substitute that's loaded in windows.

The trouble is, the windows on this machine died (you know, it happens). I'm supposed to be fixing it for this guy, and it's the most frustrating thing....

It sounds like you've got one of the models that doesn't have the BIOS either, if it doesn't check removables when booting. It shows the Toshiba logo, then boots from the hard drive.

My trouble is that I took the hard drive out to remove windows and do a full format/clean install using my own laptop. Got that done, great. Now the Toshiba won't boot from its own hard drive - just sits there with a flashing underscore for a cursor.

Any thoughts? I just need to get it so it boots into windows, so...

Lokasenna, Sep 6, 2006
  9. la toilette

For the one I was playing with you needed to press 'Esc' repeatedly followed by F1 as soon as the machine powered up to get into a sort of 'mini' bios. I got a single screen of setup options including a boot sequence option - sorted.

With a bit of luck yours may be the same!

la toilette, Sep 7, 2006
Ask a Question