I/C cable - 13 metres of the stuff

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by maddog 2, Oct 27, 2003.

1. maddog 2

maddog 2

I need a 13 metre interconnect. The idea is to run a signal from the tape out on my pre to a second amp in the kitchen.

Anyway, The longest ready made cable I've seen is 10 metres from Maplin (£20) and I fancy the DIY route anyway so I need recommendations on cheap cable. There are a number of options at Maplin but I can't quite figure out which one I should go for.

It doesn't need to be brilliant - it's just for the kitchen.

How does this look? (Maplin code: XS93B)

Or this one: N08AP

Am I right in thinking, in both cases, I'd just need 13metres as they come as twin cables. Sorry for the dozy question but I find Maplin entirely unituitive to understand.

maddog 2, Oct 27, 2003
  2. maddog 2

maddog 2

or this: XS94C

overload....overload......

maddog 2, Oct 27, 2003
  3. maddog 2

stumblin Kittens getting even...

They'd do the trick. Also think about trying Lossless satelite Co-Ax, Tim over on the WHF forum swears by coax for interconnects. Try FT125 or FT100.

You'll obviously need some RCAs aswell.

stumblin, Oct 29, 2003
  4. maddog 2

Graham C

For a long run at audio frequencies, I would avoid 75 ohm coax as the capacitance is high

Try RG62..this is 93 Ohm coax - with air spaces between the centre and screen. It is primarily used for IBM SNA wiring [ie old mainframe technology] This IBM cabling could run for miles.

Graham C, Oct 29, 2003
  5. maddog 2

maddog 2

Made them up last night actually - my first experience with DIY interconnects!

Went with the cheapie cable (XS94C at 60p a metre) which works okay. Bit thinner than I expected but does the job with some Shark phono plugs (AQ57M - £4 a pair). Total outlay about £15.

I now have a second system in the kitchen running off my main source in the lounge. For me and my house, this is a better solution than a separate system in the kitchen as all the CDs can stay in the lounge. Also means at parties we can have the same music in both rooms.

maddog 2, Oct 31, 2003
Ask a Question