I don't understand my setup, please help!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Johannes, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Johannes

Johannes

My setup is a bit of a mess and a bit random, these are the parts:

NAD stereo integrated amplifier C315BEE
    NAD stereo reciever C740
    2x Dali concept 2 speakers
    2x B&W DM 600 S3

It's actually two separate stereos but I thought it would be fun to make one stereo out of them. I don't really know much about audio stereos so i'm a bit puzzled by what I ended up with.

The C740 reciever has inputs for 2 sets of speakers (which the C315BEE doesn't) so I tried hooking all of the speakers into the C740. It worked fine, and I got some nice sound out of the setup. On paper the C315BEE has more power than the reciever 40W continous in 8ohm compared to 35W for the C740, so I thought I might get "more" out of the system if i hooked them both together. So here is what I did.

1. Audio source goes into C315BEE.
    2. C315BEE is then connected to the C740 reciever, with a phono cable from the "Tape out" on the C315BEE to "Main in" inlets on the C740.
    3. All four speakers connected to the C740 reciever now plays very nice, maybe even better than before.. hard to tell.

The weird thing I noticed though is that non of the controls (bass, treble, balance or volume) on either of the amplifiers work. The speakers still play with the volume turned all the way down on both amplifiers... why? I can control the equalizer and volume from my computer though, so in that respect it works fine for playing music:)

So what I don't get about the setup I made is:
    1. Which of the amplifiers does the amplifying? both?
    2. Why doesn't the nobs on the amplifiers work in this configuration?
    3. Does the setup even make any sense?

If someone could shed some light on what I have done I would be very happy:)

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Johannes, Aug 10, 2014
Ask a Question