IBM Laptop Problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by voodoo, Apr 16, 2004.

1. voodoo

voodoo OdD

OK, I have a problem with my g/f's laptop and after having no help from IBM I turn to the Fountain of Zerogain for some eternal advice and opinion :D .

I have the following problem with XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184&Product=winxp .

But when I reach no.6 [of the Solution], I can't proceed any further as I don't have the Administor password for the machine.
    Why not ?
    Because I bought the unit as a re-furb, from a 3rd party company - not IBM. I contacted both the shop and IBM but no real help was forthcoming.

Anybody know what the 'default' would be ?

I've tried my Windows password (I know this shouldn't work but it was worth a go) and the usual Changeme/Change me/changeme but zero :( .

Any ideas ?
    Wild guesses welcome :D !

voodoo, Apr 16, 2004
  2. voodoo

Slaphead Lurking less

Have you tried typing nothing into the password field i.e don't type anything - leave it blank

you could also try "admin", "administrator" or if the person who set it up was a unix junkie you could try "root". Also "letmein" has been known to work for me.

HTH

Edit- If you you have time and determination you could try entering this lot

http://www.cotse.com/wordlists/common-p

Alternatively you could get a password reset hack depending on version of windows. However I'm a Mac man so I really don't know how safe these are or how to work them

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2004
    Slaphead, Apr 16, 2004
  3. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Cheers for that Slaphead, I've tried leaving the field blank but the Unix approach passed me by - I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Steve

voodoo, Apr 17, 2004
  4. voodoo

Nepherim Deep Purple Flactulence

Easiest way is to create a Unix boot disk, and delete the admin password hash. Petri has good instructions, or IsItTrue.org has more options, but you need to know your way around a computer.

The expensive way is NTAccess.

Or, install a second version of NT, and use that to boot (Petri above).

Using the L0phtCrack (from isItTrue above) *may* be easiest of all, and is probably the one I'd start with.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2004
    Nepherim, Apr 20, 2004
  5. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Well, ended up reformatting the hard drive and it turns out that there were 2 viruses: "Sasser" and "Blaster" (This one never disappeared after the reformat !).

A few downloads form Microsoft and a swift installation of Norton has quickly resolved the problem.

Cheers for the help.

voodoo, Jun 26, 2004
Ask a Question