Idiots corner!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnhenry, Apr 3, 2006.

1. johnhenry

johnhenry

Hi,

I think I need some help here, in fact i know I do!

To put it into context, i'm a guitar player and listen to huge amounts of different sorts of music, and was fairly content with my 4 year old dinky Pioneer straight out of the box system, and I know as much about the reality of proper HiFi as most know about The Phyrigian mode, perhaps even less.

SWMBO in her wisdom decided that she would surprise me for the latest upcoming birthday that I choose to forget by getting me a decent HiFi outfit, so tucked away under the stairs I find yesterday the following:

Marantz PM64 amp
    Marantz EQ40
    Marantz CD65DX cd player
    Technics SL- QD deck

and all very nice too, BUT, now here's rub number 1, the sweet lady realising all that lot needed to go in something, bought a rack on eBay yesterday, and then realised why it was a bit expensive, as it included a Yamaha DSPA2070 amp, Marantz CD52MkII and a Sony TCK590 tape deck.

Now that's ok, I'll happily set one system up in the lounge and another in the study, but you'll notice rub number 2, NO speakers, as she thought that the old TV surround sound speakers that had been despatched to the loft in total disgrace would be lovely!

So, knowing from my guitar playing that speakers make or break an outfit, and bearing in mind that no doubt in the fullness of time the credit card bill for the above will land in my lap some advice on which of the above to put where, and what speakers to look for on the bay would be great.

The lounge should have the "better/nicer/more open" sound for a room 28 foot by 14, oblong with solid wood floors, while the study is only about 10 by 10. I had thought of spending around £150 s/h for a couple of speakers for the lounge initially, and a bit less for the study. So, after you've recovered from falling about with laughter, any advice would be most welcome on all and any fronts,

johnhenry, Apr 3, 2006
  2. johnhenry

zanash

For me the obvious would be the small Quad stand mounts 12l [?] but they may be beyond your budget......can't say I know of much else that comes close, to there bang for buck. Certainly they would be what I'd use if I had to down scale.

zanash, Apr 3, 2006
  3. johnhenry

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I don't think the Quads would be the thing for a 28ft room!
    I'd be looking on Ebay for the likes of 70s/80s Kef floorstanders.
    A pair of Kef Cadenzas, with the oval bass radiator make a very warm and musical sound, and they won't go for more than about £80! Also Ditton 44s or 33s would work well, or perhaps even a pair of Gale 301s.
    Quite efficient as well, so they should fill the room with the Marantz..

leonard smalls, Apr 3, 2006
  4. johnhenry

johnhenry

Thanks Leonard,

Any ideas which bit of kit to put with what tho, and any suggestions for speakers in my 10x10 bolt hole?

johnhenry, Apr 3, 2006
  5. johnhenry

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've heard tannoy little red monitors work well in a small space. not sure about budget though.

julian2002, Apr 3, 2006
  6. johnhenry

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

leonard smalls, Apr 3, 2006
  7. johnhenry

andyoz

Wow, that second set of speakers is 32 years old and he still has the original boxes. Impressed.

andyoz, Apr 3, 2006
  8. johnhenry

la toilette Downright stupid

They do, I had a pair in a small room and they were very nice. Budget wise - little chance unless you scour ex-studio sales. A pair of little gold monitors (v similar, slightly newer version) went for about £600 on ebay a few days ago :eek: , nuts.

la toilette, Apr 3, 2006
  9. johnhenry

Question123

10. johnhenry

Tenson Moderator

Quite a lot for a pair of those isn't it? I'm sure I have seen a pair before for under £100.

Tenson, Apr 4, 2006
  11. johnhenry

anon_bb Honey Badger

No, you prob saw the mc2s for that much. I used to own the mc2s then gave them to my bro who then upgraded to mc4s. Fantastic speaker. He paid £200.

anon_bb, Apr 4, 2006
  12. johnhenry

johnhenry

thanks guys, off to ebay now.

johnhenry, Apr 4, 2006
  13. johnhenry

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

IIRC Fish from Marillion uses (or used) MC4s so they can't be all bad :)

Also, keep an eye out for Rega Elas - they don't have seismic bass, but are currently reasonably cheap and have an excellent sound quality - really nice mids for starters. Pacey as well.

domfjbrown, Apr 4, 2006
  14. johnhenry

Question123

i paid £140 + 50miles petrol for mine, well worth it!

Question123, Apr 5, 2006
  15. johnhenry

MikeD Militant Nutter

Oh yes! I was lucky enough to pick up a pair for fifty quid, and they're fan-smegging-tastic :)

MikeD, Apr 5, 2006
Ask a Question