If you like Late Junction ...

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by eisenach, Oct 28, 2004.

1. eisenach

eisenach

... another disc I've just come across, thanks to Radio 3's Saturday CD Review prgramme, may take your interest.
    All'Improviso by L'Arpeggiata on Alpha 512 http://www.alpha-prod.com
    They unusally played quite a long extract from the disc towards the end of the programme, and it had me rivetted. It's taken MDT a couple of weeks or so to get it, as it was out of stock at the supplier's - obviously it had taken other people's fancy as well. At £9 incl. postage from MDT, a bargain.
    It's sort of "baroque jazz", with free improvisations on renaissance and baroque themes played on original instruments, all very much in the style of Jordi Savall, and the sort of disc that seems to be fashionable with French-based record labels at the moment.
    It makes a wonderful sound, with lively, spirited, joyous music-making, and is very well recorded in a Paris chapel. It's in my player all the time!

eisenach, Oct 28, 2004
  2. eisenach

joel Shaman of Signals

This is a great album from one of the truely innovative and interesting labels of the moment IMO. Look out also for "La Tarentella" which features Christina Pluhar/L'Arpeggiata and one Marco Beasley.
    Funnily enough, I've just this minute finished ordering another half dozen or so discs via www.abeillemusique.com
    Maybe this is the period label for jazz fans. I'd not thought of it like that, but it makes sense. The playing and singing often has a freedom sadly lacking from period music.
    Also, Look for anything and everything by Vincent Dumestre and Le Poeme Harmonique, as well as Nima Ben David & Henri Agnel (amongst others).

joel, Oct 28, 2004
Ask a Question