I'm not sure if I can trust my ears.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Aug 7, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

this probably just what everybody says from time to time. But I've just bought a an Ixos 1002 Gamma Encore cable after testing against the Quenex 1 and 2's as you might have read on my other forum. Well the auditioning session lasted nearly 4 hours before finally deciding to go with the Ixos.

At first I didn't like the Ixos, then I tested against the Quenex 2 and it was hard to find which was best. I did listen to on the speakers for a while and the Ixos clearly won, but on headphones it wasn't as clear cut on some songs it sounded confused at first, but after exentending listening I realised it was just the extra treble detail.

Anyway I have just read a couple of reviews on the net from HFC and Home Entertainment and both do not rate this cable well saying it has boomy bass and splashy treble. However I must have been right to prefer these over the Quenex right? I am happy with the sound, and to me the bass is not boomy at all, but my maybe its my crappy FFRC's taking all the bass away.

I do find these cables better than what I had before and they only cost £25. I feel sorry for anybody that has to audition high end stuff, it must be a mamouth of a task.

Iccendtly the Ixos cable got 5 stars from WHF, and so do my Eltax speakers and I do think they compare well to my mates old Tannoy M1's and they sound much better than the budget missions despite snobery. (the 700 comes to mind)

I guess my point is should you let other people reviews influence your final audtion? I would say no, but just let them influence your audition list.

amazingtrade, Aug 7, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

GrahamN

Absolutely...you're living with the stuff, not the reviewer. Use reviews (including any you may see here) to generate a short (or even not-so-short) list. My golden rule has been that if it takes you a load of auditions to tell something is better suited to you...then it ain't worth the money and hassle to change. Save your cash for something that you know is right straight off.

Unless you just want to buy something...anything...that is :rolleyes:

GrahamN, Aug 8, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

If you can't trust your ears, who's can you trust?

Only you know what you want, only you know what you like.

I-S, Aug 8, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

zanash

there can't have been much of a difference....my diy's eat quinex for breakfast and ther the zerocost's !
    The quinex was one of the fixed point/bench marks I used.

zanash, Aug 8, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

i certainly dont trust WHF reviews, a few years ago i auditioned a basic system for my dad, it consisted of all the components WHF said went together. It sounded like a £50 akai
    just because the different components all have a fandangled star rateing doesnt mean they will be in harmoiny with eachother

penance, Aug 8, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

Tom Alves

The problem with cables is burn in which takes time. If you like it at first because it does everything right you can bet that six weeks later it will have moved off centre. But how do you see the potential in a cable that's not to your taste? Tough call.
    Being a Naimie I don't really have that problem :MILD:

Tom Alves, Aug 8, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tom, we have a cure for 'improving 'wanky wire' and speeding up burn in time, and you may find it even does Naca 5 :eek: ;) , have you tried Isolda Tom, it does work very well in Naim kit.WM

wadia-miester, Aug 8, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

Tom Alves

What about 10mm2 T&E mains cable and solid copper "fuses"? :)

Tom Alves, Aug 8, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tom, you use this as speaker cable?, humm intresting bass I feel, Well can treat 6 gauge, no probs and frequently do (not for speaker cable, unless you count Merlin's monster 2 gauge stuff :cool: ), Have you considered using ultra fast circuit breakers? instead of fuses?, well you can make your own mind up about mains decoupling when you listen. :)

wadia-miester, Aug 8, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

Tom Alves

Speaker cable NACA5

No the 10mm2 T&E is for the seven separate spurs. As you say power supply is important so run a Memera CU & 32a MCB for the hifi with 6mm2 T&E straight to the back of the boxes and no switching. The next house (soon :) ) gets the upgrade to 10mm2 T&E with 32a RCBOs and no case fuses. It just takes six weeks to burn in which is a pain esp during weeks 3-4.

Tom Alves, Aug 8, 2003
  11. amazingtrade

Decca

Who is better Miles Davis or Coltrane, is Ford better than VW? Of course, there is no right answer and it is the same with HiFi. Reviews are personal opinions. If it sounds good to you, thats all you need.

What you have done is very very common. It is called post purchase dissonance. If the reviews in x magazine had been great it would have reinforced what a good purchase you had made, but the reviewer did not like them. Dont worry about it, there is no perfect amp or speaker. Some folk like valves or planner speakers. It is all a matter of taste and personal preference, your ears, your room your musical taste.

Is a 50 hour burn in time the same as a 50 hour acclimatisation?

Decca, Aug 8, 2003
  12. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've since found out these cables don't have screening but there gamma structure is supposed to git of rid of radio frequencies however they sound ok so despite all the negative stuff I am happy.

amazingtrade, Aug 8, 2003
  13. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

WHF reviews are meaningless
    why?
    to get a back cover ad on WHF you have to shell out £20k
    you seriously think that WHF are gonna turn around and give that anything other than a 5* review?
    even the small classified ads at the back command around £1k

WHF is good for knowing whats there (and even then they get it wrong e.g. with Marantz CD5400 and they were way too early)

apparently Home Entertainment mag has gone under:(

Rory, Aug 9, 2003
Ask a Question