IMF Transmission Lines

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

jimmymcfarrell, Jan 19, 2005
  2. jimmymcfarrell

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

They look like TLS80s. A great speaker that your neighbours will learn to hate!

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 19, 2005
  3. jimmymcfarrell

wolfgang

Goggle.com show up this link. Remember reading about these legends before but not heard them as they are before my time. Tell us what they are like when you get them.

http://imf-electronics.com/

wolfgang, Jan 19, 2005
  4. jimmymcfarrell

narabdela

Thanks for that link wolfgang. I owned a pair of IMF ALS40s many moons ago. Wonderful beasts! Wagner has never sounded the same since those days. :( :(

Enjoy your TLS 80s jimmy.

narabdela, Jan 19, 2005
  5. jimmymcfarrell

I'd heard they were good, and because they are in Exeter which is only half an hour away it appears to be a good idea!!!! But if I just spent 200 quid on some formica and knackered 70s drive units then it'll be a story for the "Biggest Mistake You Ever Made" thread.
    Thinking about it there is quite a high chance that the foam that damps the transmission lines will be rotten, and I believe this is really important part of the speaker! Anyone got any experience with how this stuff survives???
    I'll know more on Saturday.

6. jimmymcfarrell

smudge

Hi

I would do a deal on those keff's he has, if the drivers are ok,it would give you some spare 139's

Stuart

smudge, Jan 19, 2005
  7. jimmymcfarrell

what are they worth??? Is it really worth it as the speakers (incl cabinets) would be more expensive than buying the drive units seperately if needed. Do Kef still make 139s, I know they can supply most of their old drivers, and weren't they really common anyway?

8. jimmymcfarrell

looks like they could be several models...

9. jimmymcfarrell

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

About £150
    Possibly. B139's about £50-60 a pair as are B110's and T27's
    No
    No they can't, they sold off the tooling
    They were common, about 20-30 years ago, they are now becoming rare.

LiloLee, Jan 19, 2005
  10. jimmymcfarrell

If they are working ok they are very good. I actually really want a pair myself for my forthcoming 70s retro system for the TV room (huge Marantz receiver already purchased!). The IMFs kick out great gobs of deep bass, they really are floorshakers, but it is tight and tuneful in the right room. I really like them. The finish should be very good, definitely not formica – they were a seriously high-end speaker in their day, same sort of level as Quad ESLs etc.

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 20, 2005
  11. jimmymcfarrell

sounds like my kind of speaker. cant wait til saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmymcfarrell, Jan 20, 2005
  12. jimmymcfarrell

Drove 50 miles to see them, didnt fit in car, drove back, got a Vauxhall Omega Estate and did the journey again! Then had to smuggle them into the house without family seeing them (gonna say I've started collecting old wardrobes if anyone asks).
    Deep Bass, goes down to 35hz no problem!!! Sounds so clean and powerful. Mid sounds a bit dull and closed in, and treble is...well there, but not really anything special. But cannot believe the bass response
    Have read somewhere that replacing the tweeter / super tweeter with 1 decent one makes a huge difference. I guess this would require a chance of X-over from 4 way to 3 way. Also as I have the 2 tag amps I want to fit a bi-wirable crossover, or maybe go active with them......endless possibilities.
    Anyone got any idea regarding upgrading / modifying them?

Cheers

jimmymcfarrell, Jan 22, 2005
  13. jimmymcfarrell

Anyone remember how much they were new???

Its el cheapo shiteo iron on plastic wrap that looks typically 70s & nasty.....but I dont care

14. jimmymcfarrell

I suspect that tactic won't have much long term success.

Really? The surprises me more than a little – the IMFs I've seen have been nicely veneered in teak. What model are they – they looked like TLS80s to me, but quite a few models did! Have you fired them up yet?

Tony.

TonyL, Jan 22, 2005
  15. jimmymcfarrell

suppose im being a bit harsh - it is veneer, and its well applied, but its possibly the worst looking 70s teak Ive ever seen. Doesnt matter because a speaker thats the size of a small wardrobe is never going to win any prizes for looking nice!!!!
    Yeah got them working, running off a 60 watt Tag power amp fed straight from my cdp as it has a volume control. The tag seems to be more than powerful enough to destroy them if i cranked it up. I really like the transmission line sound - up until now ive been a fan of sealed box speakers, as port chuffing really gets to me, but T-lines are on another level entirely. Its tight tuneful nice sounding bass. Im not worrying about the rest of the frequency range as I know the mid and tweets need upgrading, and that can be done when Ive got the cash. I also think I need to build an extension to house them in, because they simply look massive in my room (its 5 x 6m ish).
    The only problem Ive found is with some tunes on certain bass frequencies it sounds like a small bit of tin foil is touching the woofer. prob means one of the B139s is on its last legs. they can be rebuilt though cant they......?

16. jimmymcfarrell

hifienthusiast

That reminds me of my own experience of buying a pair of 1960s BTH K10A horn speakers in Lockwood cabinets as shown in the photo. I think I paid 200 pounds for them. I bought them unseen and they cost me over 100 pounds to get a courier to ship them from the north to Hampshire. When I got home, I couldn't believe my eyes! They were so big and heavy. I was collecting vintage valve amps and speakers at that time. I hooked up the BTH speakers to some old valve amps, they sounded dull with no treble at all. I really didn't know what to do with them, I just hated them, both the look and the sound. I did think of burning them in the garden!

[​IMG]

Then I phoned Nick of Emporium about the speakers, he offered to buy the BTH speakers for the price I paid for them and he also arranged a courier to pick them up! I was well chuffed. A few days later, I called him and he told me that someone had wired the tweeters of the horns out of phase, that's why they sounded dull. I subsequently found that he was asking 2500 pounds for those beasts and sold them!

At least I didn't make a loss, just a scary experience.

Regards
    Hon

hifienthusiast, Jan 22, 2005
  17. jimmymcfarrell

narabdela

This site is a useful source of information on KEF drive units.

narabdela, Jan 22, 2005
Ask a Question