Info needed on London this coming week-end

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sir Galahad, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

I'll be in London as of Friday morning, and I read somewhere that Friday is a holiday in England.
    What does that imply in practical terms? Is everything gonna be closed (museums, stores, monuments) and is public transportation running as usual or not? What about Saturday?

Also is there a good weather forecast website?

Thanks in advance

Sir Galahad, Apr 3, 2007
  2. Sir Galahad

mr cat Member of the month

hi - it's good friday and also bank holiday monday...most touristy places should be open - but expect most places to be very busy too...my lady's coming back from London but can only get a late train back to the north east england...

mr cat, Apr 3, 2007
  3. Sir Galahad

hifi addict

The easiest weather forcast is from the bbc. www.bbc.co.uk

Most places will be open in central london on Friday. It will be crowded but then again it always is.

hifi addict, Apr 3, 2007
  4. Sir Galahad

Gulliver

Weather should be good.

If you get away from the typical tourist places, the rest of London tends to be quiet in my experience.

Go and explore- as someone who lives here it could be the best weekend of the year!

Gulliver, Apr 3, 2007
  5. Sir Galahad

Thank you all for your replies.
    Having lived in London in the past, we'll skip Whitehall and Buckingham, won't climb up St Paul's, will stay away from Tussauds, the Crown jewels and, weather allowing, will enjoy the parks, streets and pubs.

Sir Galahad, Apr 3, 2007
  6. Sir Galahad

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

London itself will be fairly quite (believe it or not) when the Easter bank holiday we all escape !

The vast mojority of shops museums and alike will be open so do not worry there.

The biggest things to note I expect will train engineering works, some sections of tracks will be closed but this will be more common on intercity routes.

BTW, Welcome !

P.S. A boat ride from Westminster pier to Greenwich is definately worth it. IIRC, it is £6 return and takes about an hour each way.

Levi_501, Apr 4, 2007
  7. Sir Galahad

Thanks for the tip. I took a trip on the Thames before, but that was in the (swinging) sixties, so I guess it will be worth a try. The landscape must have changed ...

Sir Galahad, Apr 4, 2007
  8. Sir Galahad

Ghostmachine

Try the London Eye, It's expensive and the queue awful but when you reach the top on a clear day it's worth it.

Ghostmachine, Apr 5, 2007
  9. Sir Galahad

Had a great time in London, glorious weather, did the Thames trip to Greenwich, visited (and had a very decent meal at) Tate Modern, a stint at the British Museum, lots of bus rides (if only traffic was as smooth in Paris, I'm all for the toll gates), fish'n chips with a few pints for the sake of the good old days, a classic English cheese tasting at La Fromagerie on Moxon St, a cup of tea at Hyde Park, and managed to catch the Boat Race at Hammersmith bridge, soooo English. Loved it.

Sir Galahad, Apr 10, 2007
  10. Sir Galahad

Dev Moderator

Glad you had a good time SG but "a classic English cheese tasting at La Fromagerie"?:D.

Dev, Apr 10, 2007
  11. Sir Galahad

Yep, the owner is French, and carries a superb assortment of cheeses from all over the world, not just France. But being in posh Marylebone, he probably knows what attracts the customer best, hence the name. I warmly recommend it. They also apparently have great new English cheeses which we'll taste next time.

Sir Galahad, Apr 11, 2007
Ask a Question