Info Required - Pioneer A400

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mothman, Jun 4, 2006.

1. mothman

mothman

Hi
    I have an ageing Technics SU-V2 amplifier (owned since new, circa 79/80) but want to replace it with something better and have decided on a Pioneer A400. Unfortunatelythe rest of my kit is silver (brushed aluminium) and I can only find the A400 in black. Does anyone know if the the A400 was ever produced in silver?

Cheers
    Rich

mothman, Jun 4, 2006
  2. mothman

hifikrazy

Sorry dont think so. Mind you I could be wrong!

hifikrazy, Jun 4, 2006
  3. mothman

RobHolt Moderator

Never seen a silver A400.
    The Technics rings a bell though. Quite a chunky amp with flourecent meters IIRC. I had a V6 so long ago that it scares me to think about it - i was at school I believe :eek:

Any special reason for choosing the A400?

RobHolt, Jun 4, 2006
  4. mothman

mothman

Rob,
    Your spot on with your description of the Technics. Was thinking of the A400 because I have read good things about it, but open to alternative suggestions (must be silver\aluminium) up to £80. The speakers they will be driving will be Audiomaster MLS4's. Audiomaster were by an independant company from Watford circa 79/80 who I would guess have long since disappeared up their own existance. These speakers received good reveiws in their day but not sure how they would compare to modern kit.

Also looking for a cheap Cd player in silver. seen a couple on fleabay but not sure if their any good
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9735292606&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9735253389&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Rich

mothman, Jun 4, 2006
  5. mothman

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I found the A400 a little bright when I heared one. They are capable of delivering huge amounts of power though.

They are mid 90's amps so I don't think they would have been made in silver as it was not in fashion back then.

amazingtrade, Jun 4, 2006
  6. mothman

RobHolt Moderator

Good modern amps in silver that sound good with plenty of juice:

Cyrus
    Creek
    Rega
    Exposure

Any of the base models will better the Technics.

And now a little treat for you from my extensive archive ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RobHolt, Jun 4, 2006
  7. mothman

mothman

Rob
    Thanks for the recommendations, I think even 2nd hand examples of those brands will be outside of my £80 budget, but I will keep a look out. Great to see the reveiw of the amp, you will be pleased to hear I've also still got my original copy of 'Hi-Fi Choice - Loudspeakers by Martin Colloms' but my copy is a liitle worse for wear as I've had it since 79:)
    Cheers
    Rich

mothman, Jun 4, 2006
Ask a Question